1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: winXP pro sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by conlo, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

Have a pc with WINXP PRO which was updated from Win98. Tried downloading Callwave Internet Answering . Said it could not download because it could not detect a sound device. I found the sound installation disk and installed it. Was then able to successfully download callwave, but it could not play the message because of no sound output. I tried playing a music CD, and sure enough I had no sound.
    What can I do to reestablish the sound output ??

2. matt_aj

matt_aj

Well first we need to determine what sound card you have. Since you have a disk that came with, does it have a model on it? More than likely that only has the 98 drivers on it. XP will have different drivers. Once we figure out what kind is it, you'll need to go to the manufacturers website and download the new driver.

3. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

The sound card shown on the pc specs is " OUTBOARD AC97 DIGITAL AUDIO W/3D ". Could not find a site with this name. The pc was purchased from Tiger Direct. Can you help ??
    Conrad

4. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

Aare the advertised programs such DRIVER MAGIC that are suppose to fix all your driver problems any good ??

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

"callwave internet answering"?

does the rest of xp function ok? info about the system would help.

it sounds like onboard sound on an old mb and the sound died or the mb wasnt compatible with xp.

i dn't do/recommend upgrades of an os but doing a clean install, insuring the processor, memory and hardware can run xp.:cool:

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Find out what the motherboard model is -- the mobo vendor will usually have drivers for its integrated audio -- AC97 is an Intel codec -- but they only supply drivers for their own motherboards.

You can use PC Wizard to get the information you need:

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

7. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

I found the manufacturer of the sound card to be : 1st Mainboard marketed be FIC. ( FIRST iNTERNATIONAL COMPUTER INC.) Tried their email support but getting no answer. If I buy a new sound card, how do I know if it will be compatible to WinXP Pro. ??The ads do not mention compatibilities.

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

most cards sold will be compatible.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

10. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

why, a pci slot is pci slot.

11. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

>opened up the pc and looked cLosely at the mother board and the only number that might look like a model number is AN19E

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

13. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

Ok, I got my sound back. Am able to play my CD's thru my speakers. But the Internet Answering machine (CALLWAVE) still tells me " WERE SORRY , CALLWAVE SOFTWARE CAN'T ACCESS THE SOUND DEVICE BECAUSE ANOTHER APPLICATIION IS USING THE SOUND DEVICE . PLEASE EXIT ALL PROGRAMS THAT MAY BE USING YOUR SOUND DEVICE ". What can it be. I don't have any sound proram showing in the task bar. I closed Windows media player and disconnected my Sony dvd recorder. i can't think of anything else. Can you??

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does that persist even after a reboot?

Post a HijackThis scanlog just for the heck of it:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

15. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

I am glad to announce that I found the cause of my sound problem. I ended up looking at the sound and audio properties in the control panel. In the audio properties, the default setting was "MODEM #1 LINE PLAYBACK", and this box had a down arrow to display a submenu. And lo and behold there listed was " AC97 AUDIO " , which is what I have. As soon as I made " AC97 AUDIO " the default, everythilng worked just fine.
    Thanks one and all for your help. You have always been there in my cares and woes, and got me out of deep doodoo many a time.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!