Solved: WinXP Recognizes External HD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MCSA

and installs it, shows the brand of hard drive and says that it has installed it and is working correctly. The drive shows up under disk management but when you go into "My Computer", it's not there. Never had this problem before...

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Is it formatted in Disk Management? Does it have a drive letter in Disk Management?

If the answer to both questions is yes, someone may have hidden the drive in My Computer using something like TweakUI. Can you open a command prompt:

Start, Run, CMD

Type: dir x:

where x is the drive letter of the drive from Disk Management. Do you get a display?

You may need to partition, format and assign it a drive letter. I would drive the drive letter first.

Darn,......we posted at just about the same time....

MCSA

My screw up...I thought I had formatted this stupid thing when I got it, but apparently didn't. Duh (smacks self in forhead)!

MCSA

Bob Cerelli said:
Might want to re-read that install page again.
No install page...this was a CompUSA case to fit a regular PATA HD. But, thanks for the help anyway.

MCSA

Me too. I was sitting there, scratching my head wondering why there's no drive letter being shown...

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online