1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WinXP repair

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barret, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barret

Barret Thread Starter

Howdy,

I typically do my own pc repair and maintenance, but I can't figure this problem out for the life of me.

I've got an XP that someone built from misc parts and it has always run just fine. However the motherboard was built into the side of the case, so I have to remove an air duct and the power supply in order to clean out the internal parts, or to reach the RAM slots (of which there are two), these are located behind the floppy, cd-rom, and hard drive bays which makes it extremely difficult to swap out RAM.

I have successfully done this on multiple occasions with no problems. Yet this time around, when I power the tower on, the monitor stays blank and all three keyboard lights continue to flash every two seconds or so.

I continue to check the connections, and any suspicious looking components, but cannot seem to find anything I might have missed.

Any thoughts?

2. raybro

raybro

Hello Barret, and welcome to TSG... The obvious thing is an incorrect or loose connection or a bad RAM stick. Other thoughts include sensitive electronic components damaged by ESD (Electro-Static Discharge). Any beeps on power up?

BTW... This question more properly belongs in the Hardware forum. You can do this by clicking the "Report" button and requesting it be moved.

Raybro

3. Barret

Barret Thread Starter

Thanks Raybro. Sure enough, I had the RAM inserted backwards. It's running smooth as clockwork now, and no beeps.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll move this pronto.

4. raybro

raybro

That's pretty odd. RAM slots are keyed to prevent that very thing. You might want to check the connector.

Raybro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!