1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WinXP Startup Password Dialog big problem!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by goedel, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

My laptop W/XP presented a password dialog on startup or return from hibernation. It asked for a password (pw). I do not use a pw. I always hit enter, and W/XP began; no problems. Then I thought to improve things by checking Tech Support Guy's forums. Searching, I found a 2006 reply to my question which advised:

"run cmd > control userpasswords2 > ( ">" means enter)"

A dialog box appeared with a check in a box for "User must enter password". I unchecked the box. Then enter.

I restarted full of hope! After a short while, the familiar dialog box appeared "Log On to Windows". In the user name box, the word "Administrator" appeared, as usual. The dialog is slightly grayed out and super-imposed is another dialog which says "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction." When I click the "OK", the "Unable..." box disappears and "Log On to Windows" is fully presented. When I click "OK" again with no password, the second dialog reappears, and so on. All I can do is click "Shut down".

So what do I do now? I cannot use my computer.

Anyone?

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Okay let's try this. Insert your win xp cd and do as follows:
    1. Restart hit f12 and select option to boot from CD and allow windows to setup
    2. When finished a blue screen appears: Press r to enter the Recovery Console
    3. At the command prompt type: cd system32
    4. Then type: copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
    5. Then type: exit

Reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. NEXT!!!
    Once you're logged in go to Start> Run > and type: regedit
    When registry editor appears look for the "Userinit" key in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

Modify the entry: C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,

so that it reads: C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,

Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe

Let me know if this helps

3. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Tomorrow, when I am fresh, I'll try. Thanks.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no "user name box" on the logon screen for XP unless one of 3 things is going on. You are a memeber of a domain, you turned off the Welcome screen, or you installed a program related to security or networking that requires the use of the old-style logon.

If you figure out which it is, you will possibly solve your problem. For example, when did the Welcome screen disappear?

If you are a member of a domain, then the domain administrator may have put restrictions on the process.

5. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

I went to the registry in the safe mode, found the key Winlogon and saw that the data already was userinit.exe,

That does not seem to be my problem. This is a used computer I bought from a non-technical person, who cannot help with this.

6. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

I have decided to reinstall the operating sytem. I don't know if that will overcome my ignorance of the username and password. If not, I may have to call Dell - unless a TSG has a better idea.

Thanks! I'll allow this thread to remain open for a few days to get all the replies.

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If its a used computer and more than likely out of warranty dell wont help you.When you buy a used computer you should start all over again fresh you certainly dont want the previous owners junk in there.

8. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

SUEOHIO: I think Dell would help, possibly for a fee. In any case, I have reloaded the OpSys. Thanks for the advice. I hope you win your suit against Ohio, if you are part of the 99%.

9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Well dell might help i suppose if you pay. But free help on a used computer not to my knowledge and i have quite a few used dells in my house.I didnt know there was any kind of lawsuit in ohio against dell. lol!!!!!!You are welcome.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's better to start fresh, anyway.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!