1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wipe hard disk to reinstall windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by riskyifzal, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. riskyifzal

riskyifzal Thread Starter

i m thinking to wipe hard drive but i m not selling or donating it.
    i m doing it bcz my pc is infected with viruses.
    and i wanna delete viruses and everything so taht it cant be recovered from my hard drive.
    i will keep using the hard drive.
    i know i can wipe my pc easily with dban

But someone said it decreases the life of hard drive,If i do it many times.i had wiped many times my hard drive before
    But i think formatting doesnt clear my hard drive,and i m not sure if formatting would be enough or not to clean hard drive.
    i heard formatting doesnt clean hard drive viruses ,if virus is left then they keep sending information from the system,ya something like that
    i have just one question
    should i format or wipe hard drive?
    i just wanna reinstall my os man
    i just wanna start from clean state

2. amarren

amarren

You are right, formatting a hard drive does not completely remove the data from your hard drive. If you are looking for a complete fresh start then wiping it is the way to go. Ive never heard that wiping a hard drive decreases the life of it but im looking into it. You dont have much choice from what i can see though if you want a completely clean drive. Id go with the wipe.
    Il post again if i find out any information about whether or not wiping it effects its life time :)

3. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    If it's a Solid State drive (using flash memory like a USB drive instead of the traditional platters), then there is a bit of concern when it comes to formatting and drive lifespan. If it is a standard hard drive, though, you shouldn't have too much to worry about. You will more than likely sell the computer long before the drive actually goes bad.

4. riskyifzal

previously,whenever i need to install my os i just wipe my hard drive using dban first then i installed my os.
    offcourse there are many viruses which are not deleted even after formatting hard drive.
    i know wiping hard drive is time consuming but it provides better security man
    But its also true i just dont wanna decrease lifetime of my hard drive.

no one wants

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish, as this is your third thread on the same subject and you marked two of them as Solved.

Several solutions have been suggested as alternates to DBAN. Did you try any of them, and what results did you have?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Just delete the partition and re-create it. There's no reason to do anything else. The virus won't survive that. It's not like you have to "really" kill it. It's not a living creature. It's digital data. It won't be "recovered" unless you take the initiative to do so.

7. riskyifzal

i m a beginner .ya i know its the 3rd thread on same subject,but its different one.
    i just dont keep imagining these things myself ,until i have read somewhere.
    i post abt the thing which i use

I

8. riskyifzal

and i m thankful to all of u for ur participation.
    i will also try to be more helpful to solve other people problems here

9. riskyifzal

well i have tried other solution to dban which was wipe drive,i buyed and i used it and it took more time than dban.my last option was to ask for refund.
    someone suugested me a program name partition magic,to partition and format my hard disk but in windows 7 i can easily craeat and format partion.so no use of it

10. riskyifzal

Now i have only left three options other than crushing my hard rive
    1- Reformat Hard drive
    2-Wipe hard drive
    3-writing zeros to hard drive.

any suggestions plz

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you do the full format using the windows 7 installation disc, it will write 0's to the drive.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I gave you the best, simplest, and cheapest solution. Just use the Windows 7 disk to delete and create a partition. You're making this far more complicated than it needs to be. There's no need for a special utility or program.

13. Old Rich

Old Rich

. . Agree!!

14. riskyifzal

thanks for ur suggestion

15. riskyifzal

And i have wasted a lot of cds on this dban thing

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!