1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wiping Hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nascarlam, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nascarlam

nascarlam Thread Starter

I was thinking about wiping my hard disk drives and wanted to know if this would in any way cause the drive to go kaphoot for future use. I don't intend on selling off my pc but the feeling of having the hdd as good as new makes me very curious. Since i already have maybe three past virus infection with the hdd it sort of make me turn this way. So what do guys have to say about my confusion if i should indeed go at it or not? And will this process create any installation problem after i complete doing it all? Will this erase the bios as well?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Wiping the drive won't affect the BIOS, nor will it reduce the life of the drive. It doesn't have to be done but it doesn't hurt either.

Some manufacturer's release diagnostics for their hard drives, you can use that to test the drive then erase/Zero fill it. So you can check the manufacturer's site forst.

Or use you use one of numerous third party utilities like KillDisk or Boot & Nuke.

B&N: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

3. L0gic

L0gic

I agree with Triple6, KillDisk has worked well for me

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

5. markomus

markomus

I was told once to be careful of doing low-level formating like that because of some problem with wiping out a piece of important information on the drive, but that it only applies to some older drives. Does anyone really know what I'm talking about? :D

6. L0gic

L0gic

LOL Markomus

7. markomus

markomus

Well it was Sithtiger who told me about it. I'll have to ask him about it and post back.

8. L0gic

L0gic

Your more than likely right though. Good post

9. nessyguin

nessyguin

A clean instal on a full formatted HD is always a pleasant experience on a machine you are familiar with . It's that much faster and just ... clean !
    As was answered earlier , BIOS is totally unaffected as it "lives" in a chip on your motherboard .
    Reinstalling your OS raises a few possible issues (what OS , by the way?) . You will obviously lose all installed programs and will have to reinstal anything that doesnt get installed with your OS instal CD . Typically this will include losing the drivers for any PCI card (graphics , network/ethernet , etc ) and as often as not you will lose the driver for any onboard sound card . Ensuring you have all the drivers ready to reload cerainly paves the way to an easy reinstal .
    Most important (and often neglected to the user's cost) is to ensure you have your OS license key written down (also any other software keys) and to ensure your instal Cd is still readable on your machine . It's great to have the disc tucked away safely under a stack of other discs but pop it in your CD drive and make sure your CD drive is reading it ok - the interwebs is full of people who didnt do this and either ended up buying the same system again or got stuck in the limbo of having a license but no working CD !
    Lastly , remember to set your Boot Sequence to CD before HD .
    Good luck if/when you go ahead with this :)

10. markomus

markomus

I've been doing a little stalking around on Google and it seems that modern drives can't be messed up the way the MFM drives could be.

You're good to go.

11. nessyguin

nessyguin

Yep . If you have a 10 Megabyte HD or smaller ........

12. markomus

markomus

...then I'd say such a one has quite the dino and needs to consider upgrading. Scratch that. Make it "evolving."

13. nascarlam

nascarlam Thread Starter

Took longer for me to show up so sorry for that. Thanks for all the input guys i guess its the green signal.

14. L0gic

L0gic

Solved

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!