1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wired and wireless enabled on same computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by amkrat, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amkrat

amkrat Thread Starter

I have Qwest DSL service with the "2Wire" wireless router. I have configured my notebook to connect to my home network both wirelessly through the built-in wi-fi card, and wired through the ethernet port. My question is this: Can I leave both network connections enabled, or should I disable one or the other, depending on how I am using the computer at the time? Everything seems to be working fine this way, but I have to wonder how I am actually connected. Am I connected wirelessly at 54Mpbs, or wired at 100 Mpbs? The connections do have different MAC and IP addresses.
    Thank you

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If both connections have obtained IP addresses from the router, you are connected both wired and wirelessly.

If you have Windows XP it will default to using the faster connection, so your wireless is not really doing anything.

3. amkrat

amkrat Thread Starter

Thank you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/469935