1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wired one pc lan problems. dns addresses etc..

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Blittzin, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Hi, and thanks in advance for anybody willing to help out a total newb. I'm on cable internet and my ipconfig/all settings seem to not be right. I built a gaming computer hardware is all compatible, clean install of vista, and all drivers, updates etc.... are installed. My addresses don't seem right and I've searched the internet and forums and most questions and posts are for wireless issues. Can anyone look at my ipconfig all report and tell me how to correct them and is everything configured properly. All I have done is try to reset wins and tcp/ip using the net sh command. An example of something not looking right is my preferred dns is a proxy I think. I really am at the end of my rope here. I can post a screen capture if it will help.
    Thanks again.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can we see the ipconfig /all
    make and model of the router or the modem you are connected to
    and how everything is actually connected together and ports used etc - so for example if you have a modem and separate router

telephone line ==> (telephone connection) modem (Lan connection ) ==> (internet connection) Router (LAN 3 ) ==> PC
    type of info
    port name etc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ipconfig /all
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
    Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Thank your for your help. I'm on a wired connection cable modem motorola surfboard 6180. I have connectivity but my ip configs don't seem right for some reason. I never paid attention to the settings unfortunaltely until it is too late. I have ipv6 disabled but not in the registry. My task scheduler also show ip address conflict. Here is my ipconfig info. Can I find open and unopen ports in my windows firewall? Also I coulnd't find a clear answer about wins proxy and ip routing being disabled and whether that was right. I benchmarked my pc with Belarc and even though I'm using a 1 pc wired lan I should bet 40 of my 50 meg speed but I get about 10 and 90 percent packet loss. The usual tech support everything looks good, here's and attenuator, we're doing voip it's system wide etc..... Thank you very much again. Here's my screen of ip config. Hope this post isn't long, or tiresome.
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GEORGE-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-CB-4E-92-C4-8F
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 72.24.83.81(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, November 20, 2011 7:54:17 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 21, 2011 7:38:26 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 72.24.80.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.116.2.151
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.116.2.50
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{708D5782-1C3E-45E2-A57D-62B0046C00C6}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:4818:5351::4818:5351(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.116.2.50
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    looks ok for a modem connection

5. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

So my preferred ipv4 address can be a proxy? One more question if you don't mind. Are my wins proxy and ip routing being set to disabled correct as well? Thanks again for your help. I hope you have a great weekend

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what do you mean by
    this should be your public IP assigned by the ISP to get you seen on the internet
    this will change each time your modem reconnects to the ISP - otherwise stays the same

try going to http://www.whatsmyip.org/ should see the same IP as the ipv4

yes thats correct

7. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Sorry it took so long to reply it just seems like it didn't used to be a proxy address, the best example I can give is, when I would do a 24 hour line monitor it would start immediately. Now the line monitor won't run until I go into ip config and use my dynamic ip address I guess since we aren't allowed to set static ip's. I'm pretty sure by that it didn't used to be a proxy. Thank you again for your time and consideration. I've done everything and I'm just stuck with bad service and bad internet without no recourse unfortunately.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is this the only ISP in your area , cable should be a good service
    so with nothing connected except for 1 PC wired and using speedtest.net what do you get
    also try pingtest,net

the modem looks capable of those speeds
    http://www.motorola.com/Video-Solut...and-eMTAs/Cable-Modems/SURFboard_SB6180_US-EN
    http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles.../_Documents/Static_files/SB6180_DataSheet.pdf

9. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Hi etaf. There's satellite but that's 21,000 miles up to satellite 21k back down to destination server and then loop back twice @21k to the pc sending. I had my mom on verizon 1 wire no pipeline like cable. She passed away a few months back and I called to change account name and they refused to give me anything except 1 meg up. They had to shut phone and internet off to "switch" account names. They would only give me 1 meg even though a few days earlier she had 7. I decided to go with cable. It's satelitte(worse than dial up) dsl, or cable. She lived in a low-income area so they aren't concerned with quality of service as it might as well be regulated. It's verizon or cable one. I can only get verizon phone. I know how this works, if I had inherited a home in a better neighborhood I would be getting at least 35 plus megs. They are notorious for showing you saved logs with no snr, downstream and upstream are ideal etc..... Thanks for your much-appreciated diligence and help with this. I'll check and post. I am virus free or should be, I just built this pc and a fresh os install. But, you never know what's creeping on your pc hijack this is a good idea. Take care. P.S. I have screenshots of my packetloss at 90 percent with 300 ms pings. It's ridiculous.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i guess you will need to complain and complain and maybe find a few people in the area on the service and complain

sounds like you know its the ISP issue

11. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

I tried to post my hijack this log 100 people looked but nobody ever checked it so I marked it solved. It's down to even possibly a bad motherboard especially onboard lan. I noticed you build pc's also. I even considered that my pc might be used as a spam bot. My uneducated look at my hijack this showed proxy override local. That made me wonder. I hope to run the hijackthis dds and attach log and post them on another forum where somebody will actually help me. Mine and another persons were viewed but never replied to. All other hijack posts were all looked at and in some post hundreds of replies.Thanks again. peace always and happy holidays.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the views maybe just robots searching the forum, like google - so i would not put to much value on that
    also the virus forum is a very busy forum and only qualified members are allowed to answer in that forum, and may take 48hrs to get a reply

13. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

That explains a lot. I'd feel annoying if I re-posted and honetly a little embarassed. It's an area I must address though. I'm not sure what a broken onboard lan would mean. Majorgeeks asks poster's to run several tools and malware scans and then post the hijack this. I'm not showing any sign of infection. But malware is nasty and devious, nefarious even. I can repost if you know somebody on here who will look at it, I have no problem waiting a week or even two. I just have a gut feeling this board might be the cause along with the lackluster ip service. I also found this in my quest. http://about-threats.trendmicro.com/ArchiveMalware.aspx?language=us&name=TROJ_PROXY.AEI It's a trend micro page so it's safe to look at. I'll repost my highjack this dds and attach logs tomorrow and hopefully somebody will help me. If I were more knowledgeable and secure about answering and helping I would. I don't like all give and no take. P.S. this was my first intel processor amd latches and I heard a faint crackling when I attached the fan and heatsink. Pushed down on it a little harder than necessary I guess, so I know my next move after somebody looks at the logs. Thanks for your patience and help.

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Theres a sticky at the top of the maleware forum
    We also ask you to post a number of different logs here a link to the sticky
    http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/943214-everyone-must-read-before-posting.html

dont start another post in malware forum, goto your existing post here
    http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/1027890-thanks-etaf-ip-config-settings.html
    mark unsloved and add a new reply with any other logs required by the sticky

It is a busy forum and will take a while to get an answer - we only allow members who are trained in malware removal to answer posts in the forum

15. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

I attached all the logs except the attach. I'm going to post a new hijack this on a different forum. I don't want to link another huge paste to the other one. Should I disable my norton firewall when I run hijack this? I normally do while gaming. I removed cd emulation like isoburner and I even removed and reinstalled norton for the majorgeeks hijack this like they requested ran malwarebytes,combofix and a couple of other malware tools before I was supposed to post. Thanks for all your insight and help. You seem busy or maybe just a man of few words so I'll leave you to higher priorities or less clutter. I hope you have happy holidays.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice