1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wired vs. Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by md2lgyk, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

Somebody asked me about this, and I don't know the answer. Using the router in my house (some flavor of Netgear), which internet connection would typically be faster, wired or wireless? I'd guess wired, but don't really know.

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Wired.

3. geek117

geek117

If gigabit: Wired connections have a maximum theoretical throughput of 125MBps.

If Wireless-AC: Should be somewhere between 62.5-216MBps depending on channels, antennas, etc etc etc but more realistic values are closer to 54MBps.

Essentially, you'll be limited by how quickly your storage can read / write. I have tested however a large data transfer across a cheap ($20 gigabit switches) wired network with data transfers of 115MBps (just about fully saturating the connection) from SSD to SSD between two computers. Your true limiting factor of speed to the internet is your internet connection itself however.

As far as latency is concerned, signal strength on the wireless is a major factor but you will see lower latency over a wired connection.

4. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

Great, thanks for the info.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice