1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Access Point & Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kharimw, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kharimw

kharimw Thread Starter

iam new to Wireless Router and i want to get one so i started looking for one and found Wireless Router & Wireless Access Point . now i need to know which one should i get and what brand . i don't want to get the wrong thing ang wast $$$. i have one pc & one labtop and Internet access(adsl) range to cover for the pc is 60feet from the Router & the labtop is about 80feet. can some 1 help me :eek:

2. saikee

saikee

The wireless router has one power supply to power three functions of (1) modem, (2) wireless point and (3) Router. It is the easiest way to set up a network and access to the Internet.

Any wireless router can do the job. Currently the popular standards are 11b and 11g, with the latter at 54Mbps capable of a transfer rate nearly 5 times the former but costs only peanuts more.

There is a new 11n on the horizon I was told and pre-n standard wireless routers are claiming double the 11g transfering rate already.

If you don't want to wait a year or two just get a 11g set (one wireless router and one wireless network card for each PC).

A PCs can talk to the router by just typing its IP address in the Internet browser. Thereafter it is up to the router to talk to your Internet Service Provider. There are about half a dozen entries you need to confirm with the ISP and the router manual will have the details.

To start I suggest you use a wired connection because it is a current standard for a wireless router to provide 4 Ethenet points. Once you get the Internt working then go wiresless.

The router is good becuase it is "not" a hardware to a PC and as such no driver is needed. The setup with the router is once-only with the ISP. The router is the gateway to the Internet by all your PC.

When you are getting use to it sufficiently then you should install further security like encription so only PC with a stored security code (generated by the router when instructed) can access your router.

This is necessary because unless with the boardcast function switched off a wireless router can cover a good range and can be hooked up by your neighbour to share the Internet at your cost.

3. kharimw

kharimw Thread Starter

4. saikee

saikee

It is good. I have friend using it. No complaint. I run a cheapie Belkin.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

the router will give nat protection. the router address will be seen unless someone has the knowhow to obtain other info.

i have a hardwired linksys router and run a wap/11b from 1/4 ports to run the laptops wireless.

6. kharimw

kharimw Thread Starter

thanks for all the info was a great help

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/394962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice