1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless adapter cannot find any wireless networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Flame48, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flame48

Flame48 Thread Starter

My internet has been working fine until a few minutes ago, when my connection just vanished.
    I went to try and reconnect but my Belkin N Wireless USB adapter could not find any wireless networks to connect to.
    While searching for a connection, the light starts blinking like it is searching, but then it says that it can't find any. Also, when I plug in the adapter, a popup comes up saying that there are wireless networks nearby, but when I click it there are still none.

I've tried reinstalling drivers but still nothing. I'm not sure what else to try because I'm afraid I might mess something up even more.
    If you need any more information just ask.
    Please help me to fix this problem. Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What operating system?

Have you tried the adapter on a different computer or OS?

3. Flame48

Flame48 Thread Starter

Oh sorry, I'm using Windows XP and no I didn't try it on a different computer yet. I'll try that in a few minutes.

Edit: Just tried it on another computer and it didn't work there either. Guess that means that it's broken and I need a new one right?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you installed the latest driver (from Belkin's web site) and got the same results on the 2nd computer that is almost definitely saying that the adapter is defective.

5. Flame48

Flame48 Thread Starter

Well I thought it was broken, so my brother gave me one adapter that he had, but this one also doesn't work on my computer, however this one DOES work on other computers. So maybe the problem is my computer?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yeah, that combination of symptoms says your computer is guilty. What wireless utility (XP's WZC, Belkin's, etc.) are you using to manage the wireless? Are you sure that no other one is running?

7. Flame48

Flame48 Thread Starter

I'm using the XP wireless utility, because a few months back the belkin one suddenly stopped working while XP's worked fine. I don't even have the belkin one installed anymore so I don't think it could be that.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What, if any, non-Windows firewall or security suite is on the machine?

9. Flame48

Flame48 Thread Starter

The only other one I have is avast.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just to be safe I'd uninstall that and run the Removal Tool if they provide one. You can then reinstall after testing.

11. Flame48

Flame48 Thread Starter

Just tried it, it didn't work. Also, while looking through my drivers I noticed that Realtek EAPPkt Protocol has a yellow exclamation point next to it. Would this have anything to do with it?

Edit: After searching through google for a few hours I finally found a post on another forum with the same issue.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=84494&st=30
    After trying what they said on here, my internet is now working fine again.

Thank you for all of the help TerryNet.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. There's a lot of advice in that thread to which you linked. What was the fix for your problem, please?

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

13. Flame48

Flame48 Thread Starter

Sorry, the solution was the post by Jorlando:

After I did that everything was working fine again.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thank you.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1006736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice