1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Adapter gone missing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nisus, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nisus

Nisus Thread Starter

My wireless Adapter went missing, and I cant seem to find the right one to download. I have an Acer Aspire 7740-5691 and It lets me connect using the cable, but no wireless adapter to be found. I went to the acer site, and the only one that has any resemblece of working is the 7740G and it says i already have one, and asks if i want to uninstall it and install the new one... Im afraid to, thinking that its gonna do something bad to my computer. The Wireless adapter isnt appearing in the Networking Adapter in Device Manager and I cant connect through Wifi... Is there a way for me to get my wireless back?:(

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    What windows version do you have?
    Strange you can see it in device manage - or at least yellow? or ! - try the two items below and post back the results

Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Then run the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

{Device Manager}
    Post back the results in device manager
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Nisus

Nisus Thread Starter

I dont see the Wireless in the programs, I only see the Ethernet only... There is no wireless connection... and the button on the laptop is saying there is no Wireless to turn off...

4. Nisus

Nisus Thread Starter

If i did this correctly it should be attached, what it shows in my networking tab of device manager

Attached Files:

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yep, No wireless and No yellow ? or ! - so no hardware is detected that windows cannot identify.....
    When did it go missing and was you doing anything in particular - I wonder if its just gone hardware fault..
    anyway lets see what Xirrus makes of it

6. Nisus

Nisus Thread Starter

See this is my moms computer, she has been having issues with the wireless and since my Acer Whitescreened on me and i have to send it to the repair center, ive been using hers and the Wireless appears and dissapears sometime. This is the first time it has not been present, and Idk what to do.

7. Nisus

Nisus Thread Starter

I was on the internet lastnight, and then when I got to college today... The internet connected, then disconnected before the wireless connection completely disappeared... The network drivers on Acer dont match up to anything, the only one that im scared to go through is the 7740G, and it says i have one installed already and asks if i want to uninstall it to install this one. I dont want to do something to never have wireless again if something like that goes bad.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you install and run the xirrus

9. Nisus

Nisus Thread Starter

xirrus? Where can i find that?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    on my first post - with a link and instructions

11. Nisus

Nisus Thread Starter

Its saying there is no adapters available

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    well, I suspect its a hardware problem - I have been searching the web for details of where the wireless card is located - on some laptops - they are easily accessible from the bottom of the laptop - it may just need to be reseated... but, not located anything yet - I know some HP models you need to take off the keyboard to get to the card ....
    USB adapters are very cheap to get hold of, i recently purchased a edimax from amazon at just under £12 working really well
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001KOTDDU/ref=oss_product from amazon

what country are you in ?

13. Nisus

Nisus Thread Starter

Im in USA, and I called the Helpline and they told me my Wireless card had disconnected itself somehow, so I have to send it in, but its not going in untill I get my school laptop.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice