Solved: Wireless Adapter Help Plz

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobcoolos

i am looking to buy a good Wireless Adapter. It must be able to have a good signal threw a few walls and a floor with online gaming in mind. Currently i have a trendnet usb adapter hooked up to the PC. Sadly there are lag spikes and disconnects from the game.

I have a wrt54gl linksys g router and just want somthing that works good.

Tnx in advance,
Bob

Currently looking at...

LINKSYS WMP54GS (with speed booster) that clams upto 35% bettter?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124139

LINKSYS WMP54G (retail) regular adapter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124115

EDIMAX EW-7128G (cheap) but every1 seems to love it on newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Truthfully, I'd be looking for one that has provisions for an external antenna, which will allow you to realize greatly expanded range by adding a hi-gain antenna.

bobcoolos

Truthfully, I'd be looking for one that has provisions for an external antenna, which will allow you to realize greatly expanded range by adding a hi-gain antenna.
I am open to any suggested parts of your choice. Ty for your time looking into this aswell.

Also note the walls are just regular drywall and insulation and a wood floor. Small 1000sq foot house w/PC on 1 end and router nearly on other other end upstairs in the office.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Truthfully, the three you picked all seem to have external antenna provisions, should have actually looked at the links first. :D

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

bobcoolos

tnx i will get the adapter and see if the better quality one works and if i have similer results of high ping and lost connection i will get a high gain antenna as i will now have the option to do so.

tnx again,
bob

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online