1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Adapter Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jbrown832, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jbrown832

Jbrown832 Thread Starter

I've just wiped my sisters laptop clean and reinstalled windows again. The laptop is a IBM T40, so I went to the IBM (lenovo) site to download all the relevant drivers. Everything installed correctly apart from the Wireless.

The drivers are downloaded were 'Cisco' ones that were for the model and I installed them the way it said in the instructions. The adapter actually installed but then when I go to connect to my router it try's to establish a connection then comes up with and error. I tried right clicking and repair, but then it comes up with "make sure the network adapter is installed properly", and then crashes.

This is the second time I've installed all the drivers again and the first time I did it, it worked fine. I just don't understand why it won't this time.

Thank You!

2. Sief9

Sief9

Download and install the program "Uniblue DriverScanner", what it does is scan your drives and checks what's out of date and such. And from the program you can download and install drivers. Unfortunately you have to pay for the program for the full version which I think allows you to download the driver.

So google the program, and see how it works out.

Hope it helps! :)

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the brand and model of the wireless adapter?

4. Jbrown832

Jbrown832 Thread Starter

It's the 'Cisco Wireless LAN Mini PCI adapter'

5. Jbrown832

Jbrown832 Thread Starter

And can anyone help me, that doesn't involve me paying out lol

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Strange. Try the installs again, making sure you install the chipset first, and then the networking drivers.

7. Jbrown832

Jbrown832 Thread Starter

That may just be it :) Thanks for you help

8. Lucysmith

Lucysmith

It might be possible that this time there is no tuning between your OS and the driver, either reinstall everything or uninstall n/w adapter and then reinstall it, i think this time it will work

camcorder batteries

9. Jbrown832

Jbrown832 Thread Starter

How do I completely uninstall the wireless adapter and chipset? so that I can install them in the correct order this time round lol

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just install them. If you run into any resistance (not likely) you can use Device Manager to uninstall a driver.

11. Jbrown832

Jbrown832 Thread Starter

Tried it, still the same :confused:

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This seems very strange. Is there any chance that you downloaded the wrong drivers?

What, if any, errors, warnings or unknown devices are shown in Device Manager?

13. Jbrown832

Jbrown832 Thread Starter

No it's definitely the right drivers. I got them off the site for the right model and I've used the drivers before.

It just says make sure the it's installed properly.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no other ideas of what's wrong or how to fix it.

If it were me I'd run a disk check (setting the options for automatic fixing), format the disk, install Windows again, install the drivers and hope that the current problem is some kind of glitch that doesn't reoccur or was a disk error that was fixed with the disk check.

15. Jbrown832

Jbrown832 Thread Starter

Ok thanks. How do I run a disk check? lol

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice