1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless and Cable ISP trouble

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Droops9, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Droops9

Droops9 Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    well i have have a problem, which is why i came here, ok here it goes, im trying to setup my router to enable wireless (its a linksys wireless-B 2.4 GHz), so i got it all setup (my computer is connected by wire and the internet works fine, im trying to enable for our new laptop) so the setup gude tells me to put in, http://192.168.1.1/, and a Network password window pops up, and the guide tells me to put the default password in, so i put it in, and under those instructions it says "if required by your ISP, enter the routers Host Name and Domain name in the appropriate fields on the setup tab. (this is usually required by cable ISP's)" and cable is what i have, so my question where do go/find these setup tabs so i can put in the host name and domain name, and i dont know where to find the domain or host names either.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with my problem.

2. invalidusername

invalidusername

I never had cable, so I am not sure. If you know the IP address of your cable modem, get into that, the information might be there. Also, if they gave you the CD package and the manual for the modem, they might have written that info on the package for your. Last, a phone call to their tech support of the ISP probably will yield the info.

3. Droops9

Droops9 Thread Starter

thanks, i also did call charter before i made this thread, and when i ask them where can i find the host and domain name, they said they dont support that, and kept going on about DHCP.

4. invalidusername

invalidusername

Do you have to enter that info? I have ADSL. I know in my router there is a section for something like that, but I never had to enter anything. Try it without that and enable DHCP in the router see if things work.

5. Droops9

Droops9 Thread Starter

how would i go about enabling DHCP???

6. invalidusername

invalidusername

The IP address of your router? 192.168.2.1

Get into the router. It should be under setup

where it says DHCP, put a check mark in the box or a dot in the circle, or use the drop down menu to set it to enable

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm not a network expert, Droops9, but I think you may be getting misinformation here. Before you make any changes to your router, wait until tomorrow when some of the experts will be here to walk you through this.

The basics are that you want the router configured to get an IP address automatically. This is called DHCP. In my configuration, Host Name and Domain Name are blank. Don't enter anything in those fields until you hear from someone else.

Did you talk to your ISP about how to configure your connection? That seems like it would be the easiest, but since some places charge for in-home setup, people sometimes give it a shot on their own.

8. invalidusername

invalidusername

What makes you say such a thing wise guy? I have a Linksys router exactly like his in front of me. Telling somebody they are better off turning DHCP on is not misinformation. Please show some respect for members. If you want to help, jump in and do it. But, please do not try to discredit others like that just to boost yourself. It is unprofessional of you to act in this manner.

9. Droops9

Droops9 Thread Starter

well guys, i got all this wireless internet mumbo jumbo figured out, i even figured out how to have a secured network (even tho i dont know what the difference is) so can some one tell me what the key differences are from a secured network and an unsecured one. does that mean that only certain computers can log on to my wireless router???

Thanks For All Input. (and no more assualting eachother :p)

10. invalidusername

invalidusername

You definatley want to have a secured network. If you can, use WPA., otherwise WEP is better than nothing. With a secue network, only those that have the password or the key can log in, others will not be able to get in. Keep in mind that with today's computers a hacker can break into 128 bit WEP very quickly. So, as I said, WPA (or WPA2 if everything is compatible) is the best.

11. invalidusername

invalidusername

Did you manage to connect? If so, what did you do?

12. Droops9

Droops9 Thread Starter

well i currently have 128 WEP on rite now, but it did give me an option on security type of "no authentication (open), shared, WPA-2 Persona, WPA Personal, WPA-2 Enterprise, WPA Enterprise, and 802.1x" so what do i go with???, and this new laptop has windows vista home premium if thats gonna make a difference.

13. invalidusername

invalidusername

I would either try WPA-2 Personal (first choice), or WPA Personal. Use a long key (at least 8 characters long, the more, the better, but you need to be able to remember it for other computers when you try to connect),

128 WEP does not do much good nowadays. It was ok 4 years ago, not anymore.

Vista is new, so there is a very good chance the wireless in it can do all of that.

When you make a change, pay close attention to what you change, so that if it does not work, you can put it back the way it was.

Make one change at a time, then test it to see if it works. Do not try to change a whole bunch of stuff and then see if it works.

14. invalidusername

invalidusername

If you run into trouble, you can always put things back to out-of-the-box factory default by pressing and holding (about 20 seconds) the "reset" key which normally should be at the bottom of the router. Then you can start all over again. If you want to be in charge of your own small network, this is an excellant oppoutiuity to learn how things work by playing with it. As I said, when you run into trouble, the rest will put you back to the beginning.

15. invalidusername

invalidusername

OK, I think it is time for me to call it a night. Good luck to you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice