1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless and Wired connection thru Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DarrinSav, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarrinSav

DarrinSav Thread Starter

Here is my question, My roommate has a wireless network installed in the apartment we share. It is actually set up nicely, very rarely any problems getting on-line and browsing and such. The router is a Netgear WNDA 3700 and cable service is thru Comcast. I play a lot of on-line games and sometimes the connection will drop and I get a lot of lag and sometimes die (no fun). I was wondering if it is possible to run a Cat 5 cable from the back of the router straight to my computer, there is 1 connection available on the router, and If this is possible I want to make sure it won't interfere with him getting on the internet and doing whatever he does while I'm on-line. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

2. Wuzzin

Wuzzin

Yes you should be able to run a cable and use a wired connection. And it shouldn't change his connection (other than the fact that you are also on the internet using bandwidth)

3. jerryi84

jerryi84

I don't think it should be a problem. It wouldn't interfere with any of his internet use since he has his own cat 5 running to his computer.

4. DarrinSav

DarrinSav Thread Starter

He would still be using the wireless connection.

5. Wuzzin

Wuzzin

That's fine, if nothing else he would probably experience faster internet use due to the lightened load on the WiFi connection.

6. DarrinSav

DarrinSav Thread Starter

Thank You for the help, Now do you have any idea where I can buy a 30-35 Ft. Cat 5 cable, That is roughly what I'm going to need to reach from the router to my bedroom.

7. Wuzzin

Wuzzin

Pretty much anywhere that sells electronics should carry it, such as Radio Shack or Fry's

8. Wuzzin

Wuzzin

9. DarrinSav

DarrinSav Thread Starter

Thank you for all ur help, I will close the thread now.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/997820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice