1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless cannot connect successfully

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Alanar, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alanar

Alanar Thread Starter

There are 3 computers.
    The primary one has an Ethernet connection with the secondary one, wireless adapter (Level One WNC-0305USB), and ADSL Internet access.
    The secondary one has just a direct Ethernet connection with the primary one.
    The laptop Asus F3Sr has built-in WiFi (Intel PRO/Wireless).
    All the PCs are using Windows XP (SP2 on the laptop and SP1 on the other two).

The primary computer shares the Internet connection with the secondary. Its wireless adapter is set up to create Ad-Hoc network and is bridged with the LAN so Internet will be shared with it. The Wireless connection is managed by Windows.

I'm trying to connect the laptop to the Wireless network. It seems to connect, but it can neither get IP through DHCP, nor ping the primary PC. I tried to use Ethereal to monitor the connection - it said that no packets arrive from the network, the packets are only sent and no one is received.

What may the problem be?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You probably should try configuring ICS if you want more than one computers to share the wireless connection.

Of course, with this mess, why not just go for a broadband router and eliminate the mess here?

3. Alanar

Alanar Thread Starter

I do have ICS configured. The problem actually is that Wi-Fi connection fails in a strange way - it says it is connected, but no data can actually go through it.

Switch to a broadband router? Well, it's a good idea, but it would be better to proceed with the hardware I already have...

4. JohnWill

A broadband router is cheap, and it will solve this problem, as well as eliminate the requirement that all computers connect through the single computer. Of course, it may be more expensive if you're not in the US...

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    WRT your current problem my first guess is a 3rd party firewall on the primary (or whichever one has ICS enabled).

6. Alanar

Alanar Thread Starter

I'm in Russia. But that's not the matter. If the laptop and/or the adapter work strangely, I would like to know the reason. I don't want to find out one day that the only way to connect is to use this hadrware and I cannot due to strange effects.

No, no third-party firewall is used as it was never needed.

Just half an hour ago I tried to connect the secondary PC (using that adapter) and the laptop to one wireless network. They connected and I could pass a file between them.
    Then I tried to create an Ad-Hoc network with the PC and connect to it from the laptop. The result was strange: according to Ethereal's logs, the packets from the laptop were successfully received by the PC, but no packet could come from the PC to the laptop.
    Another time the result was the opposite - the laptop saw every packet, broadcast packets from it went out, but for example ping requests could not come to the destination PC.

The experiments will be continued...

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When ping works one direction but not the other it is almost always a firewall on the non-responding computer. Windows XP firewall will block pings by default if file and printer sharing has not been enabled. Check in Control Panel - Windows firewall - Advanced - ICMP Settings... - want check mark on Allow incoming echo request.

8. Alanar

Alanar Thread Starter

Yes, it is checked.
    Probably I incorrectly described the problem. When I tried to ping the PC, the request was sent and no answer was received. When I tried to ping the laptop, it did receive the request and answer, but the answer did not return.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Firewall on the PC. 3rd party firewalls often must be properly configured or completely and cleanly uninstalled. Sometimes 'disable' or 'turn off' will suffice.

If you ever had a 3rd party firewall on that machine some piece could still be hanging around.

A 1st step you could try is Safe Move with Networking and see if the pings are successful.

10. Alanar

Alanar Thread Starter

I'll try Safe Mode as soon as I can. But as I remember, no firewalls have been ever installed on any of the computers.

I tried to analyse the process of PINGing the laptop. Here is what I found:
    - the PC broadcasts an ARP request for laptop's IP
    - the laptop receives the ARP requests
    - the laptop answers with ARP response to the PC
    - the PC does not receive the response
    It seems that the data flow is one-way. But why?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've heard that "three times a charm" but you want a fourth consecutive post from me with the same 8 letter word? :) Sorry, not going to happen.

12. JohnWill

Failure to ping is almost always a firewall, which is why Terry has mentioned it three times. I'll do my three times, then I'll give up. ;)

FIREWALL...FIREWALL...FIREWALL...

13. Alanar

Alanar Thread Starter

Thank you. The solution was found.
    This problem is described in Microsoft KB302348 article. The adapter does not enter the promiscuous mode without additional setup.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You did mention "bridged" (which I didn't understand) on the primary PC in your first post. Then in post #6 you switched to the secondary PC and the laptop and I did not realize when you switched back to the primary. Or maybe you also have a bridge on the secondary. Not that I would have come up with the correct answer. Glad you got it working.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice