Solved: wireless cant find router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

scott0999

I just got a linksys wrt54g router. I have 2 XP machines. first one is wired ethernet which is working fine (as usual lol). and the second one is a laptop with a 802.11b wireless card. the laptop cannot seem to find the router. I go into the wireless setup wizard and it says "no wireless connection in range". I have the same SSID in the laptop as it has in the router. I have tried the wireless security disabled, wep, and wpa - no luck. also tried changing the wireless channels around. the laptop is only 6 foot away from the router. HELP! thanks

wacor

Banned
well then that is going to probably near the end of my ability to help.

i wondering if it would be worth going into device drivers on the laptop to see if anything is red or yellow

etaf

Wayne
do the following
1)
start>
control panel>
system>
hardware tab>
device manager button>

network adapters
click on the + sign

post backs whats there

also any ! X or ?

2) Do you have a cordless phone

3) download this program and install on laptop - does it connect woth cable - you may have to download onto desktop and copy using a CD

Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

4) post an ipconfig /all for Both PC's and label which is which
TWO Methods to do that - some people have problems with ONE----

ONE ---------------------------------
start
run
cmd
ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

scott0999

wow that netstumbler program is amazing!!! it fixed it right away thanks a million :D

etaf

Wayne
it switches of the windows WZC program which can interfer if you are using the manufactures program and running both together

you may find if you reboot - you again have two programs running - so you could disable WZC

http://support.yorktech.com/wireless/WindowsXP/how-to-check-WZC.htm

or the manufactures program - you just dont want both

Your Welcome. (y)
Would you now mark this thread solved - which you have the power to do from your first post.
goto
Tick - Mark Solved

Thanks (y)

scott0999

I have one more question though.. I had encryption turned off when it was working. I turned on WPA in the router and lost the connection (as expected). now how do I configure the laptop to use WPA?

I tried turning encryption off in the router and cant seem to get the connection back on the laptop lol (signal still shows fine in netstumbler)

etaf

Wayne
try this
start>
run>
cmd>
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

may get the IP back

with encryption - you should be able to view wireless networks - in control panel>netwrok connections>
when you try to connect to your wireless network you should be prompted for a code

scott0999

ok heres what I've found sofar

when I close netstumbler I have no connection. when I go back into netstumbler it says no APs, doesnt show a signal, nothing. so I'm wondering why is it not detecting the signal when I just close the program and go back in?

what do I need to do to fix this so when I turn on my laptop it will find a signal and connect?

I've been playing around with this for a few hours now and cant figure out what I'm missing

If I go into device manager, right click on my wireless device, change the SSID and channel, next time I open netstumbler it will prompt me to autoconfigure the wireless device and it works. but if I dont do that it says no APs like stated above

so basically the only way I can get online right now with the laptop is if I keep netstumbler open. I have still had 0 luck with the windows wireless network setup wizard finding any wireless networks. something must be setup wrong but I cant figure out what. netstumbler seems to know but doesnt tell me what its changing to fix it

I have the same problem although i can't find any signal no matter what i do....

I just bought an Ovislink Evo-W108AR Access point and i have a Sony Vaio with a wireless card Intel Pro(R) Wireless 3945ABG, right now i'm in europe, this is an american laptop, i don't know if this info is necesary but maybe is somethig, not matter what i do i cant get any signal, wireless is on, tryied refreshing but nothing, i've been able to connect b4 to my linksys at home in the states and SSID is on in my router.

Thanks

TerryNet

Terry
lancerx, please start your own thread, 'cause two in one is too confusing for my old brain (and against forum rules). Note that Europe uses channels 1 - 13; North America uses 1 - 11. So if the AP is on channel 12 or 13, you can't now connect. Uninstall your wireless adapter, restart the PC, install the adapter again and, if you have the choice, tell it you are in Europe (or whatever country).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If I go into device manager, right click on my wireless device, change the SSID and channel ..."

Huh? Sorta sounds like you are maybe defining an ad-hoc signal, which isn't going to work with a router or Access Point.

To revisit what somebody else said earlier, are you using WZC or the adapter's utility? Do you have the other one disabled?

scott0999

ok I've *almost* got it figured out..I found out that I had the driver for my wireless card installed, but not the utility software *doh* lol... so I installed that and disabled WZC. now when I reboot the laptop and windows loads I get a signal and its connected, but I cant get any webpages to come up!! I cant even get into the router by 192.168.1.1. I went into CMD and tried pinging a few things it said "request timed out" in the connection status it seems to be receiving bytes, but not sending

TerryNet

Terry
"... it seems to be receiving bytes, but not sending"

Very unusual. Maybe a firewall has your PC buttoned down real tight? If you have a 3rd party firewall, you have to uninstall it or configure it for LAN access.

If it were the other way, sending but not receiving, I'd say that there's an encryption mismatch or you have yourself locked out via MAC address filtering or maybe the Dhcp server disabled.

Following is my little "router communication" troubleshooting.

If you have encryption enabled, try w/o encryption until you get a successful session.

First determine if the problem PC is really communicating with the router when it claims to be connected.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address and router's IP address: open a Command Window and type
ipconfig /all

The "Gateway" is the router's IP address.

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On the PC open a Command window and type
ping IProuter (where IProuter is the IP address of the router)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

IF you got replies,
2. ping 66.94.234.13 (or any other internet address you know)

If you got replies,
3. ping www.yahoo.com (or any other internet name)

scott0999

I have no 3rd party firewalls at all. now heres the strange part..

still the only way I can get this to work is through netstumbler. when its still open I can ping anything and get replies, but when I close it nothing works. encryption is off, mac address filtering is disabled, and dhcp is enabled. netstumbler must be doing something besides just disabling WZC to get things working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online