1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Card Setup on Notebook

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Old Bob, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Old Bob

Old Bob Thread Starter

This will take a LONG explaination !!

Have my T-21 Thinkpad setup with dual-boot of Win98SE and Xandros Linux. The built-in Xir-Com Mini-PCI V.90 56K modem and my dial-up ISP [Old Bob is retired] works with Win98SE but not Linux [it's a Win modem].

Bought an Intel PRO/100+ Mini PCI wireless card, BUT don't really know how to use it. Most of the research I do seems to be setting up routers.

1st problem: - Can't find a decent public "hot spot", but I have been "poaching" on doctors offices in the local medical center. I know this is ILLEGAL but I'm just trying to set up card and see if I know how to use it. I will drive the 15 miles to the public library in next town, once I know what I'm doing.

Card is picking up "networks" with about 70-80 % signal strength, BUT don't know what to do "next" ??
    How do I get my dial-up ISP to use the wireless card ???
    I'm not even sure if this is the "right" question to ask.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the wireless will not work with your dialup with out some sort of adapter i guess inbetween{not an expert here on dialup} onlyreally dealt with broadband

can you provide full details of kit.

I suspect you plug the telephone lead from the telephone into your laptop and then connect using a dialup. CORRECT

when you are at a hotspot and you detect the wireless
    if you right click on the icon in the system tray
    and view available wireless networks
    then select the one you want to connect to

3. Old Bob

Old Bob Thread Starter

etaf,

Thanks for response. Not sure what you mean by "full details of kit" - what kit ???

This is the card I bought -

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GWA-E0654E

Must have "cleaned them out" !!

You're correct on "hard wire dial-up" - cable runs from wall jack to J-11 port on back of Thinkpad. This only "works" with Windows.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    as far as I know you need a wireless router connected to broadband to use that unit, I DO NOT know how toconnect up to a dial-up.
    re kit - just wanted to make sure we understood what equipment you had to connect to internet

when you find the networks -

You may need to go into
    Control Panel
    internet option
    connection tab
    tick on never dial a connection

Then you should be able to surf the web using the wireless network.

-------------------------------------------------------

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Here is one site that may help you find a closer free hotspot: http://www.wififreespot.com/

"How do I get my dial-up ISP to use the wireless card ???"

I think I've read that wireless routers with dial-up capability exist, but they are rare and expensive. Personally I think you'd be happier spending your money on DSL or cable if available, or finding a PCMCIA dial-up modem that would work with Linux.

"Card is picking up "networks" with about 70-80 % signal strength, BUT don't know what to do "next" ??"

I would agree completely with Etaf's answer if you were using the Windows XP WZC. I've no experience with wireless and Win 98SE or Linux, but I suspect that you have to launch whatever utility came with your adapter and "scan" or "view" wireless networks, and then connect. If it is secured (encrypted) or controlled by a server that asks for a password, you will not be able to connect unless you can break the code.

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "to use wireless you need either a broadband wireless modem or a combo wireless modem/router along with the wireless card in the pc or laptop."

Huh? Maybe in hawaii, but in Illinois I can use wireless with a wireless adapter in my PC in conjunction with a wireless router or just with one or more other PCs equiped with a wireless adapter. Not to mention that a wireless USB adapter can be used rather than a card IN a PC.

What, bearone2, was the point of your post?

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

1) no tie in between dial-up and wireless and how i do both wired and wireless.

but now:
    2) your statement: I can use wireless with a wireless adapter in my PC in conjunction with a wireless router or just with one or more other PCs equiped with a wireless adapter.

3) hawaii must be different because i use a rr cable modem, then a hardwired linksys router, with one of the rj-45 cables going to a wap/wireless access point to run the wireless laptops and the 3 other legs running pc's..

4) must be great to live in illinois and not need a modem.

5) this isn't my 1st rodeo.:cool:

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "no tie in between dial-up and wireless ..."

You may be correct; I based my thought about routers with dial-up capability on threads like this: http://forums.techguy.org/networkin...master-terminal.html?highlight=dial-up+router

"must be great to live in illinois [sic] and not need a modem."

I use a Cable modem to connect to my cable ISP and a dial-up modem if I have to fall back on dial-up. But, I find no need to use a modem when connecting via an ad-hoc wireless network with other computers for file and printer sharing only.

10. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

but you left out the part about a modem in your earlier post.
    the original post wanted to tie dial-up and broadband.

here again, read what you posted:
    I can use wireless with a wireless adapter in my PC in conjunction with a wireless router or just with one or more other PCs equiped with a wireless adapter.

i have separate cable and dial-up connections on all computers.

i'm unclear why you questioned my earlier post.

there are dial-up routers but it's all dial-up, not mixing dial-up and broadband.:cool:

11. Old Bob

Old Bob Thread Starter

You guys are "quoting" each other some much, I am unable to read what you are trying to say !!!

Did I read somewhere in the middle of all that "cross-referencing" that I will have to bring a router to the library along with my notebook ???

12. Old Bob

Old Bob Thread Starter

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK your library has a wireless network you can use for free and is unsecure - correct?
    If so you only need take your laptop and you wireless PCMCIA card
    once there follow my advice on connecting to the wireless.
    TerryNet
    How can you use 2 PC's with wireless cards and talk to each other WITHOUT a router??? I would be interested in this. for example if a PC on dialup with a wireless card in it - and I use ICS on the dialup/wireless - will a laptop with a wireless connector be able to connect to the internet via the PC dialup - or even if the PC has broadband via a LAN on a single modem and ICS via the wireless. - perhaps this should be seperate post ... I sis read this question yesterday somehwere
    EDIT - just found the question - so you already deal with it there http://forums.techguy.org/networking/443454-cheap-wirless.html

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, Old Bob, for my participation in hijacking your thread. My post #5 should be useful to you, but skip my other posts. Or skip all mine and just pay attention to ETAF!

ETAF, I've never used ICS myself, but I do use an ad-hoc (no router) wireless network frequently. Using Windows' WZC I do not know how to initiate the ad-hoc signal. But it is easy to do so with the Intel and Netgear utilities, and WZC will connect easily once somebody else gets the signal started.

bearone2, mostly I guess I was irritated that you quoted my entire post. No need to quote at all if you are referring to the entire thing. Otherwise, just quote the part to which you are referring to help me understand what the focus is. This is my last post on our little feud, so you are welcome to have the last word.

Terry

15. Old Bob

Old Bob Thread Starter

etaf,

Glad to see you are still with this thread, what I know so far.

The wireless card CD installed TWO icons, the one in the Sys Tray only shows the status of the Thinkpad card slots.
    #1 - PCMCIA card
    #2 - "empty"
    NOTE: Yellow light in card keeps "blinking away" even though I'm not near a network.

The "primary" icon on the desktop has a window with six tabs.

GENERAL - Status = Ad Hoc mode
    PROFILE - Shows the networks I have "detected", has Add & Remove buttons
    AVAIL. NETWORKS - These can be put on Profile tab [Workgroup & CCAHOME are from Medical center]
    ADVANCED
    STATUS --- Haven't figured these last three out !!
    STATISTICS

Now, the whole point of my question - I got this far, but there is no obvious "Connect Button" or any place to enter an ISP phone number or password. Shows an IP address 119.254.171.50 - Don't know what to do with this ???

What do I do next ???
    What do people with Cable/DSL do ???

I have a "gut feeling" there is one more step I need to do with "available networks" - BUT WHAT ???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/443391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice