1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wireless card setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gmcsierra99, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmcsierra99

gmcsierra99 Banned Thread Starter

i just got a wireless card today, and installed the drivers and everything, the Link lights blinkinb on the card, and the Power lights on. but i get these messages, where do i type the network password in? thanks 4 any help:

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One thing at a time--disable encryption and make sure you can connect before going back to encryption. And, do me a favor, change the SSID (just a pet peeve of mine to see the default SSID). :)

3. gmcsierra99

ok, i need 2 put the router CD in right? and how do i change the SSID?

4. gmcsierra99

ok, turned off my ecrpytion, and change my SSID, and still get the same message, as the 1st pic.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That first picture showed a good strong (excellent) signal, so I take that message about out of range to mean

a. wireless interference,
    b. flaky router, or
    c. flaky card.

At least in that pic you showed, there seems to be no other wireless network around, unless they have the SSID broadcast disabled. You might try changing the channel on the router to see if it makes a difference. Try ch 1, 6 and 11.

Any 2.4Ghz cordless phone, microwave, large TV near router or PC, etc., that could be causing interference?

Can you eliminate (b) because you have another wireless connection that works well?

Can you eliminate (c) by connecting to a free hotspot or a friend's router?

6. gmcsierra99

well i do have 3 phones that are 2.4GHZ, and are cordless. i dont think i would be able 2 get any hotspots. my channel is the default setting, which is 11. should i try 1 and 6?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes people are able to get Wi-Fi to co-exist with 2.4Ghz cordless by changing channel from 11 to 1 or vice versa, so you may as well try.

If that doesn't work, unplug the cordless base station(s), and remove the batteries from the handsets, to confirm that they are causing the problem.

8. gmcsierra99

ok, im going 2 try that,i'll be back.

9. gmcsierra99

i tryed channel 1, but nothing, im going 2 unplug the phones now and try again.

10. gmcsierra99

ok, i unplugged the phones, and still have nothing?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Still the disappearing network? Strange conflicts can occur if two wireless utilities are running together. You're using Windows' WZC, so make sure the utility that came with the wireless adapter is not running.

I haven't seen this particular symptom before, and am running out of ideas.

12. gmcsierra99

i havent had internet with the card yet, i have a "X" on my wireless towers in the taskbar. whats Windows WZC? i dont think the utility is running?

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration is the wireless utility built-in to Windows XP (at least SP2, don't know about earlier). I assume that you are using it since its displays look like the ones in your pictures.

The red "X" on the wireless icon in the Notification Area usually means there are no wireless networks in range.

Ah, did you define an ad-hoc wireless network called belkin54g? If so that is why WZC is showing a signal, but then can't find it when it tries to connect. If you did define one, delete it.

14. gmcsierra99

when i click the wireless connection tower, down the bottom,i do see something about belkin54g. what do you mean if i define 1?

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "what do you mean if i define 1?"

I meant if you did define an ad-hoc wireless network called belkin54g.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/470165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice