1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wireless card setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gmcsierra99, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmcsierra99

gmcsierra99 Banned Thread Starter

yeah i did.

2. gmcsierra99

3. gmcsierra99

and why every time i shut the laptop off, i have 2 reinstall the drivers?

4. gmcsierra99

is this what your talking about? with ad-hoc?:

Attached Files:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you were to click on that option at the bottom (This is computer to computer ad-hoc ...), yes that is what I was talking about.

Your wireless adapter is 802.11b. Do you have the router set to generate a 'b' or '11Mbps' or 'mixed' signal?

6. gmcsierra99

i dont think i set anything like that? the card is a 22MBPS 'b'.

7. gmcsierra99

i clicked the Advanced button, 2 get 2 the ad-hoc, and yes, i can click it, should i?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, 22Mbps must be some kind of speedbooster; the 802.11g speedbooster stuff doesn't work with different manufacturers, and I really, really doubt that 'b' will either. If your router is generating a 'G' only signal, that will guarantee that 'b' devices cannot connect.

You select ad-hoc iff you are creating a computer to computer network. You are trying to connect to a router (infrastructure network), right?

9. gmcsierra99

yeah, it is a speedbooster card. yeah, right 2 the router.

10. gmcsierra99

my router is "b" and "g" compatible.

11. gmcsierra99

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's a fact of life that few people are going to wade through 26 posts to try and figure out what's going on. Especially with sentences like "yeah, right [two] the router." You've changed some things (I think), and introduced new symptoms. I suggest that you carefully describe your current setup and problem symptoms in your next post.

A summary of my past suggestions/questions follows.

1. Disable encryption (you said that you did).
    2. Set a unique SSID (you said that you did, but think you didn't say to what).
    3. Possible causes:
    a. wireless interference, (you unplugged 3 2.4Ghz cordless phones; don't know about batteries)
    b. flaky router, or
    c. flaky card.
    4. Change channel (you said you tried ch., 1)
    5. Since you are using WZC, make sure the adapter's utility is not running.
    6. If you defined an ad-hoc wireless network, delete it (you said you did define one, but haven't said anything about deleting it).
    7. I asked if you have the router set to generate a 'b' or 'mixed' signal.

13. gmcsierra99

i dont know anything with wireless internet, really sorry if im asking 2 many questions, i want 2 see if i could get help on here, before i take it somewhere, and get charged a couple hundred.

1. think i disabled this.
    2. do i just set up a SSID on the laptop?
    3. a. i unpluggd the adapter out of the wall, didnt take out the battery, should i?
    b. i dont think the routers flaky.
    c. dont think cards flaky.
    4. i think it's on 1 now, should i change it?
    5. i have no idea what WZC is, i dont think i have the utility running.
    6. i didnt define a ad-hoc, all i did was click the Advanced button, and i seen the word "ad-hoc", should i click that option?
    7. i dont know what i have the signal set 2, i just got the wireless card a couple days ago, soo i dont think i set any of that up, and i have no idea how 2.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You do NOT want ad-hoc. Forget I ever mentioned it! :)

Way back at the beginning (your first two pictures) you were using the WZC utility to 'view wireless networks,' it detected "belkin54g," and you tried to connect to it. And got an error message that the signal couldn't be found. Is that still happening? What is the name (SSID) that you assigned in the router? And do you see that now, and only that, when 'view wireless networks'?

If you are suffering from wireless interference from a 2.4Ghz cordless phone the interfering signal can be coming from the base station if it is plugged in and/or it can be coming from the handset if it is still powered by its battery.

Repeating from my previous post: I suggest that you carefully describe your current setup and problem symptoms in your next post.

15. gmcsierra99

im still getting the same message as i did in the 1st picture i posted. the name is Home Wireless, or something like that, i would have put the router CD in again 2 know what it's really called. when i view wireless networks, i dont think i seen anything about the SSID.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/470165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice