1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Card turned off?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheRobatron, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheRobatron

TheRobatron Thread Starter

I'm using an Acer Aspire 5710 laptop (see my computer specs for more information) and I had it set up nicely and it was all working fine... But I lent it to someone and now I've got it back the wireless doesn't work. I'm using the Acer eNet management and it says there are no wireless networks. I can connect to my network using the same model of laptop, so it's not that.

When I use windows to diagnose the problem it says my wireless card has been disabled and there should be a switch on the outside to enable it (which there isn't) or a function key combination (which I can't find). The wireless card is built in to the laptop.

I would be extremely grateful for any help.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There has to be either a physical switch or a function key combination to turn it on. All laptops have this type of functionality. Look for a manual online, or keep looking physically around the edge of the laptop for some type of switch or on the keyboard for a picture of an antenna or the words "Wifi" or something like that. It's there.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah I have never seen one that did not have a switch to turn on and off.

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Looking at the user manual, the leftmost button on top (looks like a sattelite dish) right below the power button, is suppoed to be the Wireless Communication Button/Indicator. Is this light on?

If you're using Windows XP, you can try the following also:
    - right click on My Network Places
    - select Properties
    - look for network connection labeled Wireless Network Connection (or similar)
    - if the Status is Disabled, right-click on the Connection name and select Enable

Let us know how it goes..

5. Danyo

Danyo

My HP has a switch labeled "wireless" on the front of the laptop.

6. TheRobatron

TheRobatron Thread Starter

Thanks JSanguancheu!!! :D It was that button that turned on the wireless. I'm really relieved now that it's working :p

Thanks to everyone else for your posts :)

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's great news, and it had to be...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/696533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice