Solved: Wireless Card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cooljc

Hi,
I just recently did a Complete System Restore on my laptop, and I found that the laptop no longer has my wireless card up and running. I've searched and found that it has some type of file called a Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility, but I can't open it or do anything with it. It is a .cpl file. Will this help me re-install the wireless card, or is it something else? I was just wondering how I can get this back as this is my only way to connect to the internet. I have a Dell Inspirion 9300.

Perhaps the driver wan't reinstalled for the network card. If you go into Device Manager and look under Network Adapters what does it say about your network "card".

cooljc

The only one I see under the network adapters is something called a 1394 Newtork Adapter, and it says it's installed properly...is that the wireless card?....if not, is there some way i can install the wireless card or something?

A *.cpl file is a Control Panel file. The 1394 is a Firewire Adaptor.

Is the card a PCMCIA card, or it a built in wireless card on the MOBO.

On my Laptop, BOTH the PCMCIA card and the built in wireless show up in Device Mgr, under Network Adaptors.

So it appears that your Wireless Lan Adaptor is NOT installed....or operational.

cooljc

Any ideas how i could get that wireless LAN adaptor installed and running?....because i don't have any CDs for it or anything..thanks

I would have thought that the restore CD would have reinstalled all needed drivers, but I also know that in the past Dell sometimes has included a driver CD. Suggest you go to Dell.com and go into the support section. Enter your system tag number and you should be able to pull up all drivers for your system. Perhaps before doing so you should look in Device Manager to see if you have anything listed under "Other" which might correspond to the network card. Also run the Add Hardware Wizard in Control Panel. Then check in BIOS to see if by chance the onboard LAN has been disabled (no reason for this to have happened, but who knows :rolleyes: ).

cooljc

Should I download all the drivers I find on the website, or are there specific ones I should download?

cooljc

Do you think I'll need any of that other stuff since I did the System Restore?...or is all of that already on there?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Well it 'should' be there. Is anything else not working. Some of those drivers may be newer than what is on your system, but on the other hand there's the old "if it anin't broke don't fix it" philosophy.

cooljc

Just a couple things I noticed were the scroll buttons on the touch pad aren't responding...and i don't think any sound is coming out of the speakers....but that's all so far

I usually download and install all available motherboard drivers when I reinstall the OS . . starting with the chipset drivers, . .

cooljc

I was just wondering if the only thing I need to get my wireless running again was the WLAN Wireless Adapter Card...or is there something else from the Network Connections list that i'll need to download in addition to that?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online