1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless connectin drops constantly on second laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Hellbillyboy, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hellbillyboy

Hellbillyboy Thread Starter

Hello. Tearing hair out here. Been searching threads here and all over google. I have DSL thru Century Link. Router is Zyxel pk5001z. 2 laptops being used. ( well, they were until my MB fried out.) My laptop has Win 7, my girlfriends has Vista.- Dell inspiron 1525. Only had the service for about 2 mo's. My laptop was working fine wirelessly. Hers drops constantly.Currently hers is the only one being used.Sometimes shows the red x, other times just local only.- Drops and reconnects within seconds. I have set channel to 6 and 11. disabled IPC 6 in laptop adapter, uninstalled/reinstalled wireless card in device manager, checked for newer driver, checked for firmware upgrade in modem, set to g/n only, ( no option for G only) connection strenth is full. No wirless phones, no close neighbors, etc. I have read posts indicating the routers are junk, other posts saying Vista has issues with certian routers, but nothing that pinpoints my exact problem. Also, just re-loaded Vista the other day. Had this problem before and after reload. Oh and the laptop works fine hardwired. Please help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show for when the laptop has a connection and again for when the connection has been dropped ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. Hellbillyboy

Sorry for the delayed reply, she took it with her for a couple days and I haven't got back to it. I will try what you suggested. It may be difficult as it is often a couple of seconds between drop and connection, but will do what I can and post results.

4. Hellbillyboy

Terrynet,
    Well, I downloaded and installed WI-FI inspector. Took the screen shots as requested. ( in the process learned that snippet tool does not come with Vista Basic) I'm liking WiFi Inspector, looking forward to studying it a bit. Anyhow, I notice when looking at the screenshots that under channel and frequency I had two. (included in scr.sht.) That wasn't right, so I went into the modem radio set up and looked it over again. - The option for '802.11G ' only was in the list. - I swear it wasn't before, as I previously posted which I thought was odd. -So seeing the option now I selected it. Went back to WiFI Inspector, saw it reading as it should. Wireless has been holding steady for 20 min now. ( a record here) - BTW, the original setting in the router was a/b/g. I will go ahead and post the shots in the hopes it will be helpful to others. I did not capture IPCONFIG, but can duplicate issue and post capture if you would like. Otherwise, thank you for directing me to the program and I will close this as solved.

Attached Files:

5. Hellbillyboy

Exceed file size with the 3 attachments at once. :eek:

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

Glad you got it working. The problem may have been that the wireless adapter is draft n. Many of those were/are quite particular about what routers they work with and under what conditions.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1075354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice