Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Wireless connection faster than my ethernet connection???

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Hello all, I have a rather odd problem I personally have never encountered, maybe some of you big brains can help me figure it out.

I have a Att (Westell) 7550 Dsl router broadcasting wireless at 1.5 megs.

I connect to this router with 2 different machines. A laptop ( Acer 5552 ), and
a desktop computer ( self built ) whose mobo is an Asus M2N4 - SLI, and is running win xp pro sp3. It is connected via ethernet through it's onboard gigabit ethernet port, which uses Nforce drivers for it's
adapter.

Yes, 1.5 sucks, but it is fine for general use, I am the only person using it, and im in a rural area with no alternative.

My laptop connects and uses this wireless signal with no problems, I am even able to play games like World Of Warcraft and other non-broadband intensive games on it.

My desktop, which has the latest nforce ethernet drivers, connected via ethernet, is in most cases not usable at all. It connects and I get the standard 100mbps connection notification, yet, it usually cannot
even load a web page completely. I open its status dialog and see that packet flow is very slow. I have tried rolling back the driver, this does not help. I have deleted the driver altogether and rebooted the machine, this does not help. Other than this, my desktop runs the way it should, I built it, and would consider myself an advanced computer user, so, I do not believe it is my machine. I have looked for obtuse registry entries and services as culprits, but I can find nothing out of place.

This is the first time I have encountered this, any ideas?

See less See more
#3 ·
I am not able to say that the ethernet method of connecting to this device has ever worked properly, as it came with the rent:) The account does not belong to me so I am weary of spending the money on another device, as it seems proprietary to att's service. I am not altogether familiar with all aspects of networking.

As for security suites, I use Malwarebytes Pro full version (registered account), and windows firewall, although I have turned windows firewall off as to rule it out as a variable. I have also switched out ethernet cables, etc to make sure it's not a line issue. I run hijack this occasionally if I am in a suspicious mood, and if I am feeling lazy, I use Regcure pro to clean my registry.

#4 ·
Problem solved, or at least part of it. It seems there is something not-quite right with my onboard ethernet adapter.

I found an old Linksys gigabit card and decided to install it to see if there were any changes in results, and Viola, it is now performing on par with the wireless. Now im really curious as to what Could be causing my onboard nic to be acting up. hmpf...

Thanks for your input though TerryNet! ;)

#5 ·
Now im really curious as to what Could be causing my onboard nic to be acting up.
Could be defective or could be having trouble auto-syncing a speed. In Device Manager right click the ethernet - Properties - Advanced tab. For the 'Speed & Duplex' Property try different values, beginning with 100 Mbps full duplex and 10 Mbps full duplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.