1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless connection keeps giving out.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Caedes, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Caedes

Caedes Thread Starter

We recently exchanged the modem as my grandmother works at Time Warner Cable, so, easy task. I've contacted, spoke to Roadrunner, they've 'hit' our modem, to no avail.

Occasionally - it involves my adapter going off. I use a Netgear adapter. What I have to do each time it dies, (which is about..every 1-3 hours of everyday, all day and all night)) is manually reconnect. I use Windows Vista so I have to go to the icon at the tab, and go to Connect to a network then DISCONNECT from ours as it says Connected with limited access even though the two computers icon for the networks options on the tab bar has a massive red X over it. I usually have to repeat this twice as the first re-connect attempt is always unsuccessful. We've tried resetting the adapter and modem more than once. Now, we have two other computers in the household - two laptops. They work just fine. It's only my desktop with this problem.

This only started happening the past few days, btw, since last week or the week before that or so. And we had both other computers before this issue started, so, I don't imagine that's the issue.

This issue really is urgent for me.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
    Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
    Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
    Make and exact model and hardware version of any other network equipment, like a repeater, a booster, hi-gain antenna, etc.
    Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
    The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• Have you tried to do a system restore to before the problem occurred?
    • If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
    • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
    • For wireless connection issues, have you removed all the stored wireless network profiles and then searched for the network?
    • For wireless laptops, have you made SURE the wireless switch is on?
    • For wired connection issues, have you booted in Safe Mode with Networking to see if that changes the symptoms?
    • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
    • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. Caedes

Caedes Thread Starter

Adapter is netgear, WG111. Modem is also Netgear.

Connection type is wireless.
    Version for the adapter is, well says on the properties at least, 6.1308.1226.2007
    WEP encryption is used for my network.
    Only affected machine's OS is Vista, Home Premium, and is fully updated.
    Firefox is the used browser.

Also did everything you said regarding the cmd actions.
    Oh, and ISP name is Roadrunner.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have the same problem with an ethernet connection?

Do you have the same problem with wireless and no encryption? With WPA(2) encryption?

5. JohnWill

Did you actually try all the stuff in red? What was the result of each action?

6. Caedes

Caedes Thread Starter

Did system restore - worked for at least 9 hours without interruption, better than it's ever done, then suddenly started doing it again. /sigh

I cannot connect directly as this house REQUIRES a wireless network, unfortunately. But, the thing is, I've been wireless for the past two years and all this started happening but a month ago. None of the laptops used by the people I live with have this problem.

As for the modem, we've exchanged our modem for a new one, no dice. I really think it's my adapter, it's the only thing I can think of.

This problem is really starting to bother me. I can't do anything I need to do on the Internet without being disturbed.

Haven't tried the Safe mode thing. As for with no encryption, I have no idea. Haven't tried.

7. Caedes

Caedes Thread Starter

Also, I can run Xirrus if you guys want. Also, do you think me changing the slot the network adapter is plugged in will change anything?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It is possible that the slot (are we talking PCI or USB?) is defective, but more likely IMO is wireless interference or the adapter is defective. It certainly won't hurt to try a different slot and see if anything changes.

With the Xirrus output we can determine whether we should pursue the interference possibility.

I'm not totally forgetting the possibility of Vista struggling with the WEP encryption, but since you stayed connected for 9 hours it seems less likely.

9. Caedes

Caedes Thread Starter

USB. It's a wireless netgear USP adapter or whatever. Had it for a long time. Always worked fine until all this started. Let me post the Xirrus screenshot. I live in an apartment complex and it constantly picks up everything else. But that's been normal and been going on, never been an issue. Anyway, Abushar is mine. [​IMG]

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I see that it is a v2; that's been around at least since 2004. If it's been used much of that time you've certainly received your money's worth and should consider retiring it. It may well just be wearing out.

Surprising to see only 3 networks in an apartment complex, but you've got perfect channel separation there. Wireless interference from another network is not an issue unless there is another network used only sometimes.

11. Caedes

Caedes Thread Starter

It's been active a few hours now without interruption but I'll sure it'll occur again soon. Anyway, should I exchange it for the same model or what?

Also - I had no idea wireless adapters could wear out.

12. JohnWill

When you start having an issue with connection, post another Xirrus display and we'll see if someone turned on an interfering network. :)

13. Caedes

Caedes Thread Starter

Well, guys, it's just started working randomly. Been working all day, and I think all since last night too when I said it had been working for a while. It DC'd once about 7 hours ago but not like it usually has. I didn't have to re-connect manually, it didn't even show the 'x' icon on the wireless icon, it kept the globe for connected to the Internet and it re-connected on its own.

I'm gonna mark this solved for now. If it occurs again, I'll contact you guys one last time for final advice.

Thanks for everything, guys!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice