1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Connection not connecting automatically

Discussion in 'Networking' started by capescafe, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. capescafe

capescafe Thread Starter

Hi,
    I recently went through removing some trojan files and malware on my computer with Kevin over in the Virus and Malware Removal section and he successfully helped me clean up my computer but the one thing that is not the same now is my wireless internet connection. I have a Netgear wireless adapter. Before I was using the Netgear utility to connect and now that's not even opening at startup just using the Windows Internet Connection utility, which is fine with me but it just won't connect automatically at startup. I have to go manually hit connect and enter my key for it to connect.

Here's a link to the thread of all the steps I went through to remove the malware: http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/995612-cant-open-any-applications.html

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    spme things to try
    1) The utility maybe corrupt and need re-installing
    2) The windows utility WZC and the adapter may be in conflict -so only one process should be running
    2) Delete any wireless profiles and then reconnect with the security code and save a new profile
    3) TCP/IP reset

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to remove Wireless Profiles
    http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/t109-removing-an-existing-wireless-profile

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Post back the results here
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

3. capescafe

capescafe Thread Starter

Ok I followed all your steps. I first removed my Wireless Profiles according to that link you posted. Then I typed what was in bold in the command prompt. But the window automatically closed. Then I rebooted. You said to copy and paste from the box. But I don't have anything to copy and paste. I must have missed something or done something wrong.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, you missed the CMD command to keep the box open
    when you did the tcp/ip reset did it work OK and not give any errors like access denied ?

5. capescafe

capescafe Thread Starter

Nope no errors. Now what?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like the virus has caused some issue ....
    what about

7. capescafe

capescafe Thread Starter

I'm not sure which one. Right now only WZC is working. My netgear utility won't even open. So it could be corrupt.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like it - it maybe worth uninstalling in case its causing an issue

9. capescafe

capescafe Thread Starter

Ok I think it's working ok now. I uninstalled the Netgear software and then reinstalled it again. When I went through the setup process I chose the custom install and chose to use the Windows utility instead of the Smart Wizard from Netgear. Then I restarted to make sure it will automatically connect and it worked great! The only thing I don't quite understand is I have 2 icons down in the right-hand corner on the task bar, one for the WZC and the other for the Netgear Smart Wizard. But I'm using the WZC. I guess as long as it's working I shouldn't worry about it, but I chose to use WZC so why is the Netgear utility still showing in the bottom right as well?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Because its put itself into the startup

I dont know the utility - BUT
    now it maybe you can open the utilty and under options it will have an option to " start when windows starts" type tick box
    OR
    you may be able to right click on the icon - and have an option to STOP the program from running at startup
    OR
    start>
    RUN if XP or
    Search in W7/Vista
    type
    msconfig
    startup tab

now look through that and see if you can see the netgear utility - and untick it
    reboot

problem is it could be called a strange name - and strange path - so you could look up each on on
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/
    or
    you may have to search google

11. capescafe

capescafe Thread Starter

Ok I found it in the Startup list and unchecked it. Thanks! It doesn't startup now with Windows. I think it's working just fine now. No more connection problems. Thank you so much! I'll mark this thread as solved now unless you had anything else for me.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    excellent (y) thanks for letting us know

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/996765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice