1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless connection problem: Five Minute Lockdown

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lilshorty, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilshorty

lilshorty Thread Starter

:)Hi,
    I have a problem with my dell inspiron 1525 laptop. it has wiindows vista home premium. As soon as I start-up my computer my internet works perfectly, for about 5 minutes and then says internet explorer cannot display the webpage. So I opened network and sharing centre and the line between the network and internet had a cross on it.

I then clicked on the cross and it diagnosed my problem and displayed this message: "Windows has confirmed that this computer is currently experiencing a network connectivity problem...contact ISP or administrator...".

I then look at the icon at the bottom right hand corner and the little world has gone away.

I Connect to my home network with my wireless router which is a Netcomm NB5plus4W. My router and connection settings are perfect and it used to work but suddenly stopped. please help me!!! :(

2. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Does it work fine if you hardwire your computer to the router?
    connect via network cable, instead of wireless. Do you still get disconnected after 5mins, or is it only via wireless?

3. lilshorty

lilshorty Thread Starter

Hi,
    Ive already tried hardwiring it but it does the same thing so i dont think its the router because my desktop computer's internet is working fine.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

What non-Windows firewall are you using? And try ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. lilshorty

lilshorty Thread Starter

Thanks it works now.
    if theres any trouble ill post another thread
    THANKS!!!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If the same problem occurs please just make another post here in this thread. I think you can even mark the thread "Unsolved." :)

7. lilshorty

lilshorty Thread Starter

Hi,
    it was a false alarm. The internet stopped this time but after about an hour. I thought it was fixed but i was mistaken.
    Ive tried that stuff that you wrote in your last reply and it still didnt work.
    When i run network diagnostics it just says Windows has confirmed that this computer is currently experiencing a network connectivity problem...contact ISP or administrator..."
    please help!!!

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try booting in Safe Mode with Networking using a wired connection and see if the connection is stable.

9. lilshorty

lilshorty Thread Starter

dont laugh but, How?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Tap the F8 key after turning on or restarting your PC. If Windows begins to boot you were too late and have to try again. When you get the timing right you will see a boot menu with choices including "normal" and "Safe Mode" and "Safe Mode with Networking."

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I normally just start tapping the F8 key repeatedly pretty early, makes it pretty certain you'll catch it. :)

12. lilshorty

lilshorty Thread Starter

The internet works wirelessly and hardwired in safe mode but not in normal mode. Also, the internet works hardwired in normal mode but doesnt work wirelessly.
    Help!!!

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

So, you get no internet access in normal mode?

Or, you do get internet access in normal mode but only with ethernet?

But in an earlier post you said that for both ethernet or wireless you get internet access for about 5 minutes and then lose it.

Please clarify just what is and is not happening now.

14. lilshorty

lilshorty Thread Starter

Sorry about the confusion.
    Okay, in safe mode everything works fine and doesnt stop.
    In Normal mode, the wireless doesnt work and the wired does

15. lilshorty

lilshorty Thread Starter

sorry, nothing actually works in normal not even wired
    help me!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/805866