1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless connection through Access point trouble

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ramsfan71, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ramsfan71

ramsfan71 Thread Starter

I have a laptop with a wireless network card. I can access the wireless signal at work with no troubles through the Intel Pro wireless software. I have a wired network at home for my 3 desktops and had used a wire to connect my laptop to the router, running cable modem. I recently purchased a Linksys Wireless G access point and ran the set up program on the desktop by the router. I get a strong signal strength shown by the Intel Pro Wireless software but it will not bring any email or internet up. When I look in the system tray there is an icon that has a computor and a yellow ball going back and forth. It says it is "acquiring network address". When it tells me I am connected I still can not get on the internet. What could be wrong. The work wireless I just turned the computer on and it found the signal and worked I had no setup. This is very confusing.

2. jackdw

jackdw

Start > cmd > push enter
    Type in: ipconfig /all
    Press Ctrl + A to select all the info. Press Enter to copy it.
    Close cmd.
    Paste the info here.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, Ctrl-A won't do the trick in a command prompt. ;)

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

4. jackdw

jackdw

Oh now of course not. Sorry. I'll doubel check my instructions from now on...

5. ramsfan71

ramsfan71 Thread Starter

Here is the copy of what you asked for. It seems unreal that the wireless network states I am connected with excellant reception but when I attempt to log onto the internet I get the page could not be found. Any help would be appreciated.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Swade
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-8B-AF-78-82

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
    k Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-D2-02-07-BB
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.229.144
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin>

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm guessing the AP isn't configured properly, and doesn't allow the wireless systems to actually see the router. What is the exact model of the AP, and have you talked to Linksys tech support?

7. ramsfan71

ramsfan71 Thread Starter

No I haven't talked with Linksys yet, I have heard that it is a nightmare to understand their techies. Also I bought the access point used on ebay and not sure if they would help me. The model is WAP54G v 2. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "connected with excellant reception" for wireless means as little as "tuned to the same channel." When you get an APIPA (169.254.x.y) you know that you are not communicating unless you're working with an ad-hoc wireless network.

What did you do to configure the Access Point? Did you get a User Guide with it or find one on the web?

9. ramsfan71

ramsfan71 Thread Starter

I downloaded the user guide from the CD that came with it. It is a bit confusing for me. Last night I was able to configure the AP without any security and my laptop was able to connect to the internet through it. Then when I try to add 128 bit security with a password the lap top can not access the AP. The wireless modem states that I am connected to the AP, but there is an icon in the system tray that keeps searching for a IP address and can not find one, so my connection then fails. Can anyone shed some light with this information.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With 90% probability:

If you are using a hex key, you didn't type the same key on both the AP and the computer; if you are using a passcode to be translated it is being translated differently by the two devices and you should switch to using a hex key.

11. jackdw

jackdw

I find it best to ditch the supplied software and just use windows. The netgear software I had before wouldn't support WPA2 and gave me a host of problems with WPA1. Windows can manage both easily.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice