1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless connection - weird problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jasaiyajin, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin Thread Starter

The setup: att dsl 2701hg-b wireless gateway/router and windows xp sp2

Symptoms: I'm online for an average of 20 minutes and the connection halts. The 2701hg-b is working fine, all necessary lights on. Windows reports no problems, IP is assigned and working. Ipconfig /all says everything is fine, I'm connected, have a gateway, everything looks normal. BUT, I don't have any connection online, can't access any websites. I ping the 2701hg-b, but it doesn't reply back.

I've setup a program called WhatsUp! to monitor the 2701hg-b and some websites like google and yahoo. Every minute it tells me what's operational, so I can track problems and accessibility to websites. It's been past 20 minutes and no problems so far, the behavior is random. The only clue so far is that "Lease Obtained" gets updated to the time when the internet goes back up. But it appears that it never disconnects; however, it will not allow a forced /renew after a /release through ipconfig.

I assigned the ip statically, it appears to have helped, does this appear to be an issue with the wireless gateway?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the lease time assigned by the router very short? And do you maybe have a 3rd party firewall (internet security) that is blocking Dhcp?

If you try Safe Mode with Networking and don't experience the problem you can eliminate the router and wireless interference and hardware and the wireless adapter's driver as causes.

3. jasaiyajin

The lease time is 24 hours and my firewall security is setup to allow DHCP. I've been tracking my router uptime with WhatsUp and it has been consistently working fine after setting the ip to static from inside the router; however, it did fail one time during the entire course. It just boggles me at the moment, everything looks fine, no errors, just weird operation.

4. jasaiyajin

I found a resolution from another post made recently whereby setting the DNS statically in the TCP/IP settings to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.6 fixed the wireless connection issues completely to 100% uptime.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice