1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wireless connects but no internet

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by emacrisema, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emacrisema

emacrisema Thread Starter

I gave my computer to my brother for a day and when I got it back windows 7 stopped connecting to wireless .
    I unninstalled "steam" for counter strike that he installed but that didn't fix it.

I have an XP installed on the same computer and it connects just fine . Also my smartphone , 2 laptops and an XP computer connect just fine so it's NOT a router problem .

Most of the times it connects and says "no internet" . Sometimes it says I have internet but when I open chrome or other browser no page opens . But I can open the router page and I don't see my computer in the DHCP list.

I believe is either something my brother installed , either a virus he got but I don't know how to troubleshoot .
    Anyone knows a tutorial or has some tips ?

Thank you

2. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,click on the network icon if its on your desktop,or go to start>network,can you see your pc listed here

3. Lance1

Lance1

Hello emacrisema and Welcome to TSG.

The Troubleshoot Problems option in Win 7 can fix many issues if you lack Internet connectivity. Just righr click the Internet connectivity ico down by the clock and click Troubleshoot Problems Best to start simple.

4. emacrisema

Yes. My computer is visible in network both on my computer and on another windows 7 computer .

5. huggie54

huggie54

can you access it when clicking on the icon?

6. emacrisema

It asks for a password so I think that means I can access it. The password must have been put automatically by windows because I don't use networking at all.

Thank you Lance for welcome and for tip .
    The troubleshooting told me that DNS is not responding .
    I pinged the DNS and responds.

Sorry for delay but I must boot into XP to reply on forum.

7. Lance1

Lance1

Try flushing the DNS. Right click the command prompt select Run as Admin and type ipconfig /flushdns

8. emacrisema

Thank you Lance. Solved

9. Lance1

Lance1

Awesome!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!