1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wireless ..gone?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nutnhuny, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

I don't get this...my laptop was reformatted using the disks that came with it..and i can't the wireless drivers anywhere? is that a conspiracy?..my son..different laptop..same problem!!
    when i installed my applications n drivers..there it was..i dl'ed it like the others, but it wouldn't open..i would get that "open with"? box...no luck on the dell support web site either..i searched for it..but can't find it anywhere? i'm baffled!!
    when i look in my device manager under network adaptors i see a 1394 net adaptor and a broadcom 440 x 10/100 intergrated controller...i am able to get online with dial up only..is there a solution to this ? any input would be appreciated...i have windows xp sp3
    thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you post the make and EXACT model of the machine
    you mention DELL so assuming DELL, have a look on the machine and you should see a TAG number - use this number on the website to get access to all the drivers

In device manager - you should see some yellow ? ! if the wireless adapter is looking for a driver

Press the Windows key (bottom left of the keyboard} and at the same time press the R key, now in the search box that appears - type devmgmt.msc
    Network adapters click on the + sign and then post a screen shot
    To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Its possible something has happened and it has been disabled in the bios / setup

3. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply...i'm running dell inspiron 6000 xp home sp3
    hope i did the screen shot right!:confused:

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yep the screen shot is great - as you can see you have some yellow ? That is almost certainly the wireless adapter needing a driver

Goto this link
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...bIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False
    Should see the network drivers - download the correct driver, notice they are country specific
    Alternatively
    Try using the TAG number on the bottom of the laptop and use that on the dell support website - should find the exact driver for your machine
    This link should take you to the TAG entry screen (NOTE i'm on the UK support site, you may need to change country, see top left of the webpage)
    http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor...k&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=GuidedPathHomePage

5. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

wow..right on thanks...now i hope i've got the right one..i'm saving it to desktop and then running it?

6. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

this is the one i'm dl..i will have to go to a friends place its 70mb and would take me all day over here

i gather i do the same for my son's puter..he has an lg r4os with vista sp1
    and his device manager looks like this

Attached Files:

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ethernet is also not working on your XP?

8. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

i am in a remote area where only dial up is available..i would need to go in town for high speed..which i will do shortly!
    that's why i want to make sure i will be dl the right drivers...for both of us ! thanks so much for ur help!

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yes, but his missing video / graphics driver as well
    so we dont get confused - would you post yourt sons details on a seperate post - Make and Exact model on a new post
    That way any problems, we wont get confused, which machine we are helping

As terrynet mentioned - you do need to download all the drivers that are missing - so you dont have ANY yellow ? or ! in device manager

10. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

k looks like his will be okay..i found a cd in his case...for drivers ..ran it..and his device manager has no question marks so i guess his will be okay...? but as for mine..do i have the correct drivers? thanks

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your computer appears to be missing only the wireless driver. Whether the installed ones are correct we cannot tell.

12. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

Thank you guys sooo much...i went to friends place for "high speed" connection...dl'ed the file that i hoped it was (the one that i sent a snap of.) and sure enuff...there i was...(unplugged my ethernet wire and i was up n running!!! my son's as well!! you guys are awesome! thanks a million and have a great weekend!!!

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome - glad it all worked ... save it to CD so if you need to use again - as that appears to be all thats missing from your recovery CDs

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice