1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless half the speed of ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Spiff23, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spiff23

Spiff23 Thread Starter

When plugged in via ethernet I can get about 35 megabit but when going wireless, I'll be lucky if I hit 14 megabit. I have a linksys e2500 router with the latest firmware. I have tried 2 different wireless cards one usb (TP-link n150) and a PCI-e (asus pce-n15), both with the latest drivers available. With the Asus my connection is a steady 5 bars, at 144.5 Mbps. I am in an apartment complex so there are a lot of other signals around me but I have tried to select the best channel I can with the least amount of overlap I can. Anyone have any ideas about some hidden router settings that might throttle speeds? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and I'm running windows 7 64bit

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you testing with no other device connected to your wireless network?

3. Spiff23

Spiff23 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! Yeah My computer is the only device on the network.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The problem may well be the wireless interference to which you alluded. Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

5. Spiff23

Spiff23 Thread Starter

Here is the requested screenshot. Never used the program before so not entirely sure what everything means.

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try with encryption disabled to see if that makes a significant difference. If it does help a lot then try WPA-PSK (not WPA2) encryption.

You've got two networks stronger than yours. They are not interfering, but it's still a little disconcerting. Try reorienting the router's antennas or repositioning (even a little bit sometimes makes a significant difference) the router or computer to get a stronger signal.

7. Spiff23

Spiff23 Thread Starter

Well I moved the router from about 30 feet away to 3 feet away. I can now get about 19 Mbps instead of the 14 I was getting earlier using the wireless, but when I plug in, its still a constant 35 Mbps. I have attached another screenshot of Xirrus. I tried disabling the security but it had zero effect.

Attached Files:

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no other ideas.

9. Spiff23

Spiff23 Thread Starter

lol, well dang. Thanks for trying though. I may go and buy another router and see if its just a bad router.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. Let us know if you do try another router and it makes a difference.

11. Spiff23

Spiff23 Thread Starter

Well I just got off the phone with linksys support and they made one change to my router. Under QoS they disabled WMM support. It didnt completely fix my issue but it did raise my wireless speeds from 14 mbps to 20. The connection also seems much more stable. They said that even if I had a high end router the speeds would not be any different.

Anyone have any experiece with getting 30ish Mbps on wireless?

PS. just ran another test, got 26 Mbps

Ran another test about an hour later and got my Full Speeds. Aparently the issue was with the WMM support.

12. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I just did a crude test. I transferred a 2.41 GB file from my fileserver to my laptop via wireless. Windows reported an average transfer rate of 10 MB/s. This translates to about 80 Mb/s. I think I could have achieved a bit more if the network path didn't have to go through my ASA firewall with 100 Mb/s interfaces which I can assume the actual line rate would be a bit less. I may try to reconfigure the SSID I use to just run line rate through my core switch to see if the speeds pick up. I would assume it would.

As far as the equipment I am using, I doubt you would want to spend the money.

13. jmwills

jmwills

Wireless is for convenience so if you really need the speed, stick with a wired connection. Just my 02.

14. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

And from what do you base this on?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1071685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice