1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Headaches!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by docaudio, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. docaudio

docaudio Thread Starter

Hi... I'm sure glad I found this forum!(y)
    I'm having a problem with networking two computers at the house. (Windows 2Ksp4)
    I have a Zoom X6 DSL modem/wireless router that's wired to computer#1. It works just fine, always has, for internet. Computer #2 has a Netgear WG311v3 wireless PCI card. It has always been a problem. I have have confirmed settings, channel, encryption, etc. and all seems OK. What happens is this: As windows is finishing loading, the little icon in the system tray first appears 'green' and then after about 15 seconds, switches to 'red'. I start the 'Wizard' and scan for networks. I can see mine (at about 85-90% strength) and my neighbors. I'm on channel 10 and they are on 1 and 6. The card still shows that it is scanning and cannot lock to the Zoom signal. Encryption is off (for now). Every so often it will find it and lock, but usually it just sits and scans all day long. I have removed and reinstalled the card and software twice with no long term improvement. It seems better right after doing a full uninstall/install but as soon as it gets booted again, it gone.
    I have installed and scanned both systems with BitDefender (full version) and found nothing of issue. I noticed that when you look at the network card properties - advanced tab, some of the values displayed do not match what has been set in 'Wizard' program - mainly SSID and protocol (B or G adhoc).
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What Wizard? Isn't there a Netgear utility? It has three or four tabs. One tab is (I'm going from memory here) 'Networks.' On that tab you can 'scan' for networks. From what you've said, you will see 3 networks. Connect to yours. W/o encryption, that should be all there is to it.

The 3 non-overlapping channels are 1, 6 and 11. Why are you using 10? 10 may not be giving you a problem, but I'd still suggest changing your router to ch. 11.

3. docaudio

docaudio Thread Starter

I meant the Netgear utility... sorry. Well it would seem simple enough, find your network, and connect. Well, it just doesn't do that. I can see it, plenty of signal, but when you punch 'connect' and tries to do validation, nothing... it just keeps 'scanning'. I have checked for hardware problems, IRQ and resource problems and everything looks fine. No code 10 is reported from the NIC. BTW, I have tried both Ch-10 and Ch-11 and didn't see much difference.

4. nerdynotes

nerdynotes

Hope u r using the latest Driver/Software for the WG311v3 found at the following link,

http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102828.asp

Also check if the Zoom X6 wireless router gives you an option to change the wireless mode in which it operates. If it does, you may try setting it to G-Only mode and see what happens.

Karthik Raja
    Support Engineer
    SupportMinds
    www.supportminds.com

5. docaudio

docaudio Thread Starter

Just did a complete un-install and re-install with the latest driver. I've forced it to G mode only. I moved it to a different PCI slot. Still nothing. I'm now wondering if it is a defective card. I've seen it work so I know it wasn't defective when I bought it, but in the last few weeks it has not been doing much of anything. All it can do is display the everyone's network (including mine with a good, strong signal) and then just stay in scanning mode.

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

It probably is a defective card. How old is it? Can you try a different one or try that one in a different computer?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I tend to agree with Mulder, but need to mention one more thing. The "stay in scanning mode" sounds like what would happen if you used the Netgear utility to define an ad-hoc network with the same SSID as what you are using on your router.

8. Torquin

Torquin

You may try moving the wireless router temporarily right in the same room with the computer you are trying to connect and see how it fares at that distance.

Personally I have had bad luck with those wireless managers sent with the networking card's software. You may consider letting windows (wireless zero) manage your wireless networks. To do this go down to the icon for netgear's manager and right click on it, there should be an option to let Windows (or wireless zero) manage you networks. Click on that, now you should see another icon popup there with a monitor and some wavy lines. Open that (if you don't see it go to your network and dialup connections and it will show up in there. Try "view[ing] wireless networks" and attempt to connect to yours.

You may also want to change some of the advanced settings like encryption keys or channels or SSID's, from ad-hoc to infrastructure or perhaps if it will connect to your network automatically. There are a number of options to look at. Good luck!

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To use the Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration you will need to first upgrade your systems to XP SP2. :(

My experience with the Netgear (and other) utility has differed from Torquin's, but was reminded that for success you want to check on Netgear's site to make sure you have the latest driver and utility.

10. Torquin

Torquin

Whoops! Forgot he was on Win2k (I don't have wireless on mine so I don't know what happens). I'd then go through my process to test the hardware, if it succeeds then you would want to contact netwear or their website for more info.

11. Torquin

Torquin

Whoops! Forgot he was on Win2k (I don't have wireless on mine so I don't know what happens). I'd then go through my process to test the hardware, if it succeeds then you would want to contact netgear or their website for more info.

12. docaudio

docaudio Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, guys!
    I'm going to swap out the card for something different tomorrow and see how that works.
    -Bill

13. docaudio

docaudio Thread Starter

I put in a D-Link card last night and bingo! No problems at all! Plus, install was very easy (Netgrear should take note!):D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice