1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless internet randomly disconnects.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Alys, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alys

Alys Thread Starter

I've been having a problem for a while where my Wireless will randomly cut out then connect again to the network I have set up for my home. The router is in the computer room and from my room I get anywhere from an "Excellent" to "Very good" signal strength, which doesn't explain its random disconnecting. Any reasons why/ways to correct this?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One possibility is wireless interference, especially from a 2.4Ghz cordless phone. Other possibilities are another network on the same or close channel or a large motor that runs occasionally (e.g., refrigerator).

Are you using the adapter's utility or Windows' WZC, and are you sure that the other one is not running?

3. Alys

Alys Thread Starter

It is hooked up to DSL internet which does require the phone, however nobody is making calls. As for the fridge, its on a completley different breaker than the computer.

Not sure what you mean by that.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've never heard of DSL requiring a 2.4Ghz cordless phone. And I didn't say anything about anybody making calls. I said that wireless signals from a 2.4Ghz cordless phone can interfere with other 2.4Ghz signals, such as a Wi-Fi connection between a router and a computer.

What utility are you using to manage your wireless connection? What OS and service pack level do you have?

5. Alys

Alys Thread Starter

With the provider the modem requires a phone connection because it does hook up to an existing phone line but it doesn't tie up the phone itself. Not sure of its signal strength though.

As for the OS, its XP Pro SP2 with a Vista transformation patch so it looks like Vista but is still XP. (not gonna upgrade til its more reliable and I have a bigger HD)

6. Alys

Alys Thread Starter

As for what I'm using to mannage my wireless, not sure but I used the install disc given to set up and configure my router on the desktop.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Getting back to the utility issue, since you have XP, there is a built-in wireless utility that runs as a service called Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC). You can find it via Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services. Your wireless adapter also comes with a utility to manage the connection; if both utilities are running they frequently conflict and cause various problems. Hence the question about which you are using and whether you know that the other is not running.

To determine if the 2.4Ghz cordless is causing the disconnects unplug the base station and remove the battery from the handset.

8. Alys

Alys Thread Starter

Ok how can I tell if one or both are running?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You already know that the one you are using is running. :)

See above for finding WZC. Look in Task Manager, Applications or Processes tab, for your adapter's utility.

10. Alys

Alys Thread Starter

I know one is running :p but as to which one Im unsure, my router is only installed on my desktop I use my WLAN to connect on here, the WZC says its running

11. Alys

Alys Thread Starter

I am very confused as to what to do to stop my wireless from randomly disconnecting

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have to admit that your confusion is obvious. :) Or maybe it's just that I am too confusing!

There are two ways that I know of to go about solving this problem: a. try stuff randomly; b. try to determine what causes the disconnects. I tend to favor the latter approach.

Backing up and starting slowly ... Question #1. Do you have a cordless phone?

Question #1a. If you do have a cordless phone, does it use the 2.4Ghz frequency band?

Question #1b. If you answered 'yes" to the above two questions, have you tried "To determine if the 2.4Ghz cordless is causing the disconnects unplug the base station and remove the battery from the handset"?

13. Alys

Alys Thread Starter

1. Yes, I have two cordless phones
    1a. No, their both 900 MHz

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Question #2. When you 'view available networks' or 'scan for networks' or 'refresh network list' or whatever words are used by your wireless utility do you see any networks other than your own?

2a. If yes to above, what channel are you using and what is the strength of signal? Also, what are the channels and strengths of the other networks?

15. Alys

Alys Thread Starter

2. Several
    2a. I have no clue what you mean by the channel. How do I check? (my signal strength for the one I'm connected to varies between Very Good and Excellent, for the others its low to no signal)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/568413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice