1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless internet reconnects/disconnects. simple?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Arnack, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Arnack

Arnack Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have had wireless network problems for a long time. I bought a new router and I bought a new adapter, it just seems these problems never stop.
    Recently (after 3 months or so of working fine) my wireless internet computer (which is a windows XP and is wireless with a Linksys WRT54GS v7 router and a realtek gateway adapter) keeps reconnecting/disconnecting. So I moved my tower over to the left about 3 feet. My internet works fine for a couple of hours. It then starts to disconnect/reconnect again, so I move it a couple more feet towards the left (which is where the exit of the room is, now my tower is halfway outside my door in order to get a good signal!).
    Anyone know the problem?
    Ideas?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One possibility is having multiple wireless utilities (clients) running. One candidate is XP's WZC with others being named after the adapter or PC manufacturer.

If you are not getting a strong signal possible causes are being too far from router, obstruction(s) between router and PC, wireless interference and loose antenna connection.

3. Arnack

Arnack Thread Starter

I'm just but about 10 feet away from the router, but it's downstairs and this computer is upstairs.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Keep in mind that for the "stick" type antennas on most routers the weakest signal is along the axis. Point the antenna(s) directly towards your PC, and then rotate 90 degrees and see if that makes a difference.

5. Arnack

Arnack Thread Starter

Rotate what 90 degrees? The entire router itself?
    I will try this, thanks.
    It's very annoying, my whole computer is actually outside my whole room now in order to get an actual working signal... which isn't even that strong.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Rotate the antenna 90 degrees so that it is pointing at a right angle from the path to the PC.

7. Arnack

Arnack Thread Starter

Could you please rephrase what you are asking? I am having a hard time understanding it. My english is a small bit bad.
    Sorry! :eek:

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Orient the antenna so that it's horizontal instead of vertical.

9. Arnack

Arnack Thread Starter

Oh, it works better that way? Even if the router is on 1st floor and the wireless adapter is on the 2nd?
    Thanks

10. JohnWill

The point of the horizontal orientation is to maximize the signal propagation in the vertical direction.

11. Arnack

Arnack Thread Starter

Still not working, thanks though. It's very annoying, it just start disconnecting/reconnecting over and over and won't stop until I move the computer over....

12. JohnWill

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

13. Arnack

Arnack Thread Starter

I'm only but 10-15 feet away from the router. Is that too far?
    Could it be because of overheating on my wireless adapter? I leave my computer on 24/7.

Do you think if I buy an expensive router, it will work?
    I'm just extremely annoyed with this.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In post # 2 I listed 5 possible causes of your disconnects. So far I think you have dealt with only one--distance between router and computer, which does not seem to be the issue. Since we do not yet know the cause of the problem there is no way to estimate the probability that an expensive router will fix your problem.

15. Arnack

Arnack Thread Starter

I am only using windows zero config, I tried using realtek's program, but I still have the same problem.
    Obstructions might be the problem... I am upstairs, the router is downstairs.
    Wireless interference could be a probability. I do have a wireless phone base in the same room as the router. Loose antenna connection? Does that mean the antennas are screwed in tight? :p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/781686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice