Solved: Wireless Issue - Connecting Desktop to Laptop and DirecTv DVR

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bubbadawg

Hello All ---

I have a wireless network via a Linksys WRTG54 with DHCP enabled. My desktop is hardwired to it, and my laptop runs via wireless connection. I also have a Buffalo Ethernet Wireless Converter to connect my DirecTv HR20 to the network (it has to be hardwired, can not accept usb).

I have a couple of issues that are extremely frustrating and I have been unable to resolve. I created a workgroup so that the desktop and laptop could be connected wireless.

1) My desktop, running Windows XP SP2, CAN NOT see the laptop under 'My Network Places' with or without the firewall on (Sunbelt Firewall or Windows Firewall). The desktop computer is also UNABLE to share Music or Pictures with the HR20 DVR using WMP11, On2Share, TVersity, or Cidero.

2) My laptop CAN SEE the desktop under 'My Network Places' however, when I attempt to connect I get an error message stating that I don't have permissions...etc, etc., etc. The laptop is running Windows Media Center along with Windows Firewall. However, Unlike my desktop, this laptop IS ABLE to share pics and music with the DVR(HR20) using On2Share, WMP11 or Cidero - however not TVersity.

I have tried opening up the specific ports to the DVR, but still no luck on gettting the desktop to see the DVR (or laptop).

Can anyone offer some suggestions on what else I can try? This has been very frustrating.

Thanks for any and all replies.

First, disable all firewalls. That's almost certainly the cause of the problems. Make sure:
the two PCs have IP addresses (type "ipconfig" from a command line, or via "Status" dialog for the connection),
can ping each other, the router, and the converter,
the NetBIOS settings are the same (default),
and you have file sharing enabled for both PCs.

I believe there is a "dhcp lease" table in one of the web pages for that router that will get you the IP address for the Buffalo converter.

That should help. Report back on what you find.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt for the following commands.

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
or
PING <computer name>

Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
  • Computer Browser
  • DHCP Client
  • DNS Client
  • Network Location Awareness
  • Server
  • TCP/IP Netbios helper
  • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

bubbadawg

JohnWill said:
Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking......
Thanks very much for the detailed instructions and assistance.

Here's where things stand. I checked all services on both computers and both have all the ones you recommended started and running. I changed the Desktop, Laptop, and Buffalo Ethernet Wireless to static IPs. I un-installed Sunbelts firewall completely only running Windows Firewall (or not depending on if I am testing/pinging). However, I am still having issues with my Desktop computer and networking it.

DESKTOP PC
- CAN ping Laptop as well as Buffalo
- CAN access Laptops shared files via networking with and without firewall enabled
- HR20 DirecTv DVR STILL CAN NOT detect Desktop computer from TVersity/Cidero/On2Share on WMP11

LAPTOP

- CAN NOT ping desktop computer with or without firewalls enabled including being hardwired into the Linksys WRTG54
- CAN ping Buffalo Ethernet Wireless Converter
- HR20 DirecTv DVR does see TVersity and other UPnP Media Controllers where connecting wireless or hardwired thru the Linksys Router.

What else can I try. I am really at wits end with this one as I have been trying to get it to work properly for days.

Thanks again for the help.

If the laptop can ping the buffalo but not the desktop, then the desktop has a firewall running. I cannot see another explanation for it.
By the way, if you've set up fixed IPs for some devices, make sure they do not conflict with the pool of addresses reserved by the WRT54G. Using numbers over 200 will take care of that.
To paraphrase JohnWill, you may have to exorcise any third party firewalls from the desktop; sometimes they don't place nicely.
I'd focus on getting the two PCs communicating with each other first. If the laptop can't access the desktop there's no reason to expect the HR20 to be able to.

bubbadawg

julianop975 said:
If the laptop can ping the buffalo but not the desktop, then the desktop has a firewall running. I cannot see another explanation for it.
By the way, if you've set up fixed IPs for some devices, make sure they do not conflict with the pool of addresses reserved by the WRT54G. Using numbers over 200 will take care of that.
To paraphrase JohnWill, you may have to exorcise any third party firewalls from the desktop; sometimes they don't place nicely.
I'd focus on getting the two PCs communicating with each other first. If the laptop can't access the desktop there's no reason to expect the HR20 to be able to.
I did remove the third party firewall, Sunbelt from the desktop and shut down the Windows Firewall (on the desktop) and still the laptop can not communicate with the desktop

bubbadawg

UPDATE:

If I boot the desktop in safe mode, I am able to ping the desktop from the laptop. I disabled all startup programs in msconfig and rebooted the desktop. It did not fix the problem as I still can not ping the desktop from the laptop.

I am guessing it's a service that is running? Can anyone make a suggestion as to what to try next or service to kill?

bubbadawg

Ok, I FINALLY found what the issue was. Although it wasn't in my startup programs, the service was automatically starting for Cisco VPN Client. Once I killed this service I could ping the Desktop from the laptop.

However, one issue remains. I can not browse my Desktop files from my Laptop. Each time I click on the Desktop computer icon in 'My Workgroups' on the laptop, I get an error message stating, 'Home' network is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource......Access Denied. I can however still browse files on the laptop via the Desktop.

Any ideas how to resolve this (last) issue.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
On the desktop, do this:

Create a file in notepad named FIXANON.REG with the following contents:

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : FIXANON.REG
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be FIXANON.REG.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result.

------------------- Use text after this line -------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
------------------- Use text before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

Reboot the computer.

bubbadawg

JohnWill said:
.......Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

Reboot the computer.
That fixed it!!!(y)

Thanks very much for all the help.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You're welcome. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts