1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Issues on Fujitsu laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by me10, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. me10

me10 Thread Starter

Hi All,
    The laptop is a Fujitsu siemens E series lifebike:
    Recently the wireless connection has been playing up, reporting "limited or no connectivity" or being connected, but not wanting to access the internet:

When left to be configured automatically, it comes up with some strange values:
    It reports "Limited or No Connectivity" and when you look at the details:

IP Address: 169.254.203.253
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 169.254.203.253

Every other field is blank, that struck me as really quite odd, so I went and manually configuring it. Giving it IP address 192.168.1.12 (any number which doesnt clash) the default subnet mask and a gateway of 192.168.1.1 (the address of the router). I retrieved the DNS addresses from another computer (by accessing the rooter page from it)

It immediately say it is connected (not limited or no connectiivity) but it is only sending out data, not recieving any. It cannot access the router page or any websites and although it says it is connected, it clearly isnt.

I do not think it is a problem with the router as we have another laptop and it is working fine (on the wireless). It is a problem that has turned up very recently also. We have just got a new Vista PC but I think that is just a coincidence. (We are not totally sure when it started playing up)

We have tried restarting the laptop and the router, also.

Any advice??
    Thanks,
    me10

2. me10

me10 Thread Starter

I should also add that it appears on the wireless clients list on the router page when connected

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's not really connected. When you manually assign IP addresses to a wireless connection, it always looks like it's connected.

Did you try removing all encryption and MAC filtering on the router to see if it'll connect that way? Did you try a wired connection?

Give this stack reset a try.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

4. me10

me10 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply,
    I tried entering the things into command prompt and rebooting but it has not helped :(
    I can take my WEP off, but it does already work on the other laptop so I don't think it's a WEP issue?

5. me10

me10 Thread Starter

any other suggestions?

6. JohnWill

Yes, please try removing ALL encryption and any MAC filtering on the router.

If you won't follow the debugging steps, it's pretty difficult to assist you.

7. me10

me10 Thread Starter

turned the WEP off, and it connected:
    turned the WEP back on and it works fine now :D
    Why did I not try this?!
    Thankyou =]
    me10

8. JohnWill

Glad it all worked out. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice