1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless laptop can't visit certain sites on 1 wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jimmyjazz, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimmyjazz

Jimmyjazz It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

This seems like it is isolated enough to figure out.

So there's a home network with desktops that are wired and 2 laptops that are wireless. The 1 wireless laptop has had a fresh reinstall of windows XP + all updates.

The problem is that the laptop has problems connecting to certain sites. When we browse to some sites, the images won't dowload (i think it times out) and it shows boxes with Xs in them. some sites work fine, but some always bad.

We've tried the laptop on a different wireless network in a different location and everything worked fine. We've also tried it at the home network with a wired connection, and again it works fine. The other laptop works fine in the home network wirelessly.
    The problem only happens when the 1 laptop is on wireless on this 1 router.

I have tried lowering the MTU settings.

another thing that may be related: the problem started around the same time as we initially added the 2nd laptop to the network (it may have been a few days before or after). But when the 2nd laptop is turned off, the problem persists.

Thanks for any help you might volunteer :)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
    Make and model of the router.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Make/model of your computer.
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

3. Jimmyjazz

Jimmyjazz It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

just wanted to update this thread, since we figured out the fix.

We went into the router settings and checked the log. After looking through some of the entries and trying to figure out what they meant, it looked like it was refusing some connections.
    So we found some setting (sorry, can't remember the name. It was somethng like "maximum connections" or the like). It was set at 10, so we changed it to 50 and everything worked perfectly again.

cheers

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice