1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless laptop communication to Wired Desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NicMartel, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NicMartel

NicMartel Thread Starter

Desktop XP Pro hardwired to Linksys WRT160Nv2 Router(N).
    Linksys hardwired to nameless MOTOROLA At&t supplied DSL modem.
    Compaq Presario M2000 Laptop wireless(G) to router.
    Mixed mode on router setup so that laptop could communicate with it.
    WEP security is the highest that allowed connection, I suspect because of the G level on laptop.

Desktop machine name: DESKTOP
    Router Wireless Network(SSID): RouterNet
    Laptop machine name: LAPTOP

Laptop is new to me. I have no info on the type wireless card in it.
    RouterNet shows up on laptop as secured network.
    I am able to reach internet on either machine without any problems.
    Laptop prompts for ID, password and domain... I have no idea what to type in. The connection icon in the system tray states that it is validating identity... and never stops.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

DESKTOP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>
    ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-B9-F7-3F
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.152.37.23
    LAPTOP:
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-91-E7-72

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-F0-35-19-71
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.152.37.23

I want my laptop to see files on the Desktop.

Note: I am running ONECARE on both machines, thus the FIREWALL SECURITY PANEL IN WINDOWS COMES UP DISABLED.
    ONECARE seem to have its own firewall... or it controls the WINDOWS FIREWALL, therefore disables access via the WINDOWS panel.

Can any one give me a synopsis of how a wireless station can communicate with a hardwired station?
    What do I need to setup on either and on the router to get them to see each other.

I have not tried a hardwired solution between the 2 computers, because I feel sure it will work and be straightforward to establish. I have done that before on other small home networks and never had a problem.

I must say that I do not really understand why the firewall is at so many levels(OS, or ONECARE, or the router). I do not know if this new Wireless router has one and if it is turned on. I know my old router(NOT WIRELESS) had one... and I was told to turn it off, as it was overkill to have router and OS firewalls.

Please help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That adapter supports WPA and can connect to my WPA2/WPA network. Your problem implies to me a woefully out of date driver. Install the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site. If you are using WZC, try the Intel Proset utility instead. In case you still don't know the adapter it's (from the ipconfig /all) Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG.

Used laptop that is a member of a domain "at work"? If so, and if you can login to a local user account, change from the domain to your workgroup.

Maybe; but I feel that the wireless driver is not your only problem.

3. NicMartel

NicMartel Thread Starter

TerryNet, Thank you for this helpful response.

I was getting nowhere fast with the windows dialogs.
    I have made some progress but I am not sure how.
    I still have a problem...

When I booted up today(all devices cold) I noticed the shared folders showed in My Network Places...
    I had rebooted yesterday and got no such results?
    Yesterday before calling it a day, all that I remember doing :
    I changed the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties in the Local Area Connection Properties Dialog
    General TAB is set:
    Obtain an IP address automatically (Don't think I changed that)
    Obtain DNS server address automatically (Don't think I changed that)
    WINS - NetBIOS setting (Under Advanced on General TAB) is set:
    enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP (I read on a post I had to do that???)

That adapter supports WPA and can connect to my WPA2/WPA network. Your problem implies to me a woefully out of date driver. Install the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site. If you are using WZC, try the Intel Proset utility instead. In case you still don't know the adapter it's (from the ipconfig /all) Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG.
    I checked to see what WZC is on the Internet and now I see, I was using no tool at all, just the available Windows dialogs

Today, I downloaded the Intel files including the Proset utility and was able to work faster, with that tool.
    Installing the new drivers on the Intel 2200G, did nothing... The install simply does nothing, no screen comes up, nothing happens, as if it detects that the drivers are current. But it gives no warning, nothing comes to the screen?

The Adapter in LAPTOP is set:
    Property: Ad Hoc Channel
    Value: 802.11 b/g: 11
    Hardware version: 6.0.3
    Driver: 19-12-07 - 9.0.4.39

I was able to setup the Router Security for WPA2 Personal, AES on the Linksys Utility and get the adapter to accept it!
    so now it does not prompt for the passphrase anymore... was never able to get that to work with Windows connection properties with WPA/2... only with WEP(Short key) but had to type key in each connect...
    Note: the long passphrase that it generates is always the same ???

Wireless Configuration: Manual
    Network Mode: BG-Mixed (Assuming if Wi-fi adapter contains BG, then match it?)
    Router Network Name(SSID): RouterNet (Note that I am not sure how the SSID and the Computer Names DESKTOP,
    and LAPTOP, and the workgroup are used or resolved?)
    Radio Band: (grayed out) (Not grayed out if use mixed mode - Standard 20MHz Channel)
    Wide Channel: (grayed out) (Not grayed out if use mixed mode - 3)
    Standard Channel: Auto
    SSID Broadcast: Enabled

I wonder if I should use G-Only or mixed mode instead of BG-Mixed?

Note: I did turn on the SPI Firewall on the router...

Using Proset on LAPTOP:
    The network shows as:
    RouterNet
    Operation mode: Network (Infrastructure)
    Band: 802.11g
    Signal quality: Excellent
    Speed: 54.0Mbps
    Authentication Level: WPA2-Personal
    Data Encryption: AES-CCMP

CURRENT STATUS:
    - All connects fine
    - I no longer get the Windows prompt for the Identity validation with ID, password, domain!!! Proset documentation states a problem with the user credentials prompt after the Utility has been installed, that disappears after 2nd reboot. As you can see I was having that problem using no tools at all.
    - My icons in the system tray are clean and behaving as expected.
    - I can reach the Internet on both machines

Used laptop that is a member of a domain "at work"?
    If so, and if you can login to a local user account, change from the domain to your workgroup.
    I do not understand that at all... where is the domain set? and what does "...change from domain to workgroup..." mean?
    I can see the network shared folders... but I get an error: [\\DESKTOP\SharedFolder is not accessible. Contact Network tech...
    Under Entire Network... Workgroup... I see the same folder... again I get the same error ?
    Do I have to create users on the DESKTOP that have the same name as on the LAPTOP?

Desktop machine name: DESKTOP
    Router Wireless Network(SSID): RouterNet
    Laptop machine name: LAPTOP
    ARE THE ABOVE NAMES OK? DO any need to match?

I think once this access issue is resolved, I will be well on my way to start using this setup, instead of fighting it!

I thank you so much for your help.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Control Panel - System - Computer Name tab - about two-thirds down that window will be the domain or Workgroup that the computer is a member of. In your case you want both PCs to have the same Workgroup name. It defaults to MSHOME in XP; it can be 'most anything. Click on Change... if you need/want to change it. Reboot after making any such change.

Your computer names and SSID are fine. The computer names must be unique, as you have them.

I'm not clear on if you have enabled file and printer sharing. Following is a wizard way to do so; normally I shy away from those confusing wizards, but I have used this one successfully quite a few times. If you have already enabled file and printer sharing, take note of the firewall caution.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro or Vista.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2 or SP3) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (up to 15 minutes) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

5. NicMartel

NicMartel Thread Starter

Thank you for all the help you are providing.
    I now have gone full circle with your help.
    You point me to enough of the many areas that are involved in this scenario to trigger me to progress each time.

[ I would like to put a synopsis of all I did to establish my Network on the techguy site to show my appreciation for all your help, but I feel a bit green. See CLOSE at end of this post ]

...but I have concern that I may be giving too much access. @@@ I am looking to limit the access to only certain users.(discussed towards the end of this post)

It was almost as simple as you stated.
    I realize that this medium(techguy) is rather tedious and slow and not all systems have the exact same interfaces, so you point me out to the area where it all happens. You wake up my visualization of the nuts and bolts.

I was able to get the 2 machines to see each other's files.
    So that is wonderful. I am able to disable, the adapters on either machine(hardwired, or wireless) at will and reisntate them on the fly... all is humming so well!

BUT,
    I was only able to use 'Everyone' in the permisssions.
    I am able to read files without problem. But no matter how I set the permissions on the folder on the DESKTOP(read, change, Full Control) in any combination, it denies saving a file(new or update).

I am now trying to restart everything cold, to see if work... but I do not see why just disabling the network adapters is not sufficient for the OS to realign itself. I will post the result of the cold start, whether it allowed me to write or not.

...and while messing with the above, a NEW KINK!
    Router not found(by the Linksys Advisor Utility)
    ...yet everything is connecting fine ???

What I did...

What I got from your instructions is that the workgroup IS the domain,
    and that I needed to revisit and reset all my workgroups on all machines.
    I already had the workgroup matched on all machines, but still it would deny access.

I had to (re)designate the group several times to get the proper results.
    In one instance, even though the system said welcome to the NEWGROUP I designated, it failed(after APPLY, OK, and reboot).
    ...and when I went back in to check, it had reset it to 'WorkGroup' !!!

Area where I made changes (Computer Name):

In XP Pro(DESKTOP) there are 2 options:
    Network ID: to join a domain and create a local user account.@@@ (<- that could be the culprit for NEWGROUP problem above)

Change: to rename this computer or join a domain

In all my trials and errors, I am sure I used both options... but the one I did use(alone) on last attempt was Change.

In XP Home(LAPTOP) there is only one option:
    Change to rename this computer or join a domain
    Note: That does not help me to understand how the system goes thru a router network named yet differently and translates all the addresses so that the different computers see each other. I can only wonder if the setting in WINS to enable the NetBUI over TCP/IP is what does that trick.@@@ I am not even sure if that was necessary. But it seems that even though the Network was broadcasting the shared folders on all sides I got an Access Denied until I did that.
    I would test that and change it back, but I choose to not rock the boat while I have things working... I can experiment later once it is all tight and running smoothly and I have made some accurate detailed notes on all the changes that I am applying.

When Sharing Folders:
    -I was expecting to see the workgroup as a group in the security tab, but it is not there.
    -I then was expecting that the Users of the other computer would also show up in that list, but they do not@@@ I need a way to narrow down the Users that will have access to the shared folders.

-All the entries that show belong to the computer name of the machine I am on... which leads me to wonder why the computer name is even shown for each entry?@@@ that tells me that a different machine name can appear in that column?

-I then assumed that if I use 'EVERYONE' in the permisiions, it might work, IT DOES!@@@ I am leavingt things alone, since it works now, but I need to get a better unserstanding to optimize the setup and tighten it up!
    -I wonder how many of these entries would actually work?@@@ like ananymous anything!
    -Does EVERYONE mean only those of this workgroup?
    So by implication the workgroup name becomes a filter, a password(unless the workgroup is broadcast)?

-or Does EVERYONE include those who have succeeded in connecting via the wireless connection?...(see Security below)
    -...or does everyone include anyone on the Internet as well?

Limiting Access:
    Can I limit access to only certain users on each computer?@@@ I find it easier to know who is allowed(ruling out all others)
    Obviously in the security TAB, the users of the other computer do not show?... Is there a way to have the Users on the LAPTOP login into the DESKTOP computer? I am scrapping for anything that will work! so, how to set the folder for certain users only?

IIS test websites:
    Why are all my test web sites in IIS showing in My Network Places?
    @@@Can they be made to not show?

Security:
    I understand the Firewall should keep anyone on the Internet side of the connection, out.
    I also think I understand that the WPA protection established on the Router network requires a key to enter, etc... thus I should be protected from anyone gaining access to the Wireless Network in the first place...

FIREWALL:
    Since I have installed ONECARE, I have not had to worry about the firewall, it is handled by ONECARE automatically.
    ONECARE advised at one time that it would set the firewall correctly. (I forgot exactly when it poped up, I think during the Router installation)
    ...and I think that since I have turned the SPI firewall on the Router ON, I am experiencing a slower Internet connection. @@@DO I NEED THE FIREWALL OF THE ROUTER ENABLED? or does ONECARE suffice?
    Should I set ONECARE to not handle the Firewall, and instead let the Router do that?
    Would no the Router Firewall be faster?

Note: I do not even know if ONECARE can be configured with NO FIREWALL and what that would cause in terms of the immense work that ONECARE does keeping track of all the exceptions and my ability at any point to remove or add an exception seamlessly.

CLOSE:
    Well that should do it... once I get my fog cleared, I should be able to fly solo and not bother anyone with so many questions.

I am not clear about all the concerns I have expressed in this and all the past posts. Many questions did not get a complete clarification.
    I will have to continue to play with this setup and solidify my understanding, then I will be able to create the synopsis.

Again thank you.

6. NicMartel

NicMartel Thread Starter

As promised in previous post, after rebooting everything cold:

...cannot write, cannot get rid of the linksys utility error...

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You talk a lot! Are you a politician? :D

What Linksys utility? Your desktop is using (Intel) ethernet and your laptop is using an Intel wireless adapter. On it I'd expect you to be using the Intel Proset utility or XP's WZC to manage it.

Meaning what? You can read but not write files across the network?

CAUTION: I am too impatient to sift through a post like # 5 to ferret out the relevant part(s).

8. NicMartel

NicMartel Thread Starter

Above post condensed and reorganized.
    You may limit your reading to lines that contain magenta color.
    Answers to your questions an my questions are in those lines.
    I hope to have made it more clear and direct for you.

CONTENT
    A - How I am setup and what I am using where
    B - CURRENT STATUS
    C - QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS

A. How I am setup and what I am using

DESKTOP (XP Pro)
    Intel Network Adapter hardwired to Linksys Router WRT160Nv2.
    NetBUI over TCP/IP set
    Was using Linksys Easylink Advisor Software on DESKTOP to manage Router
    One of the menu options in the Linksys Easylink Advisor Software would bring up the setup of the Router in Internet Explorer.

Now using http://192.168.1.1/ in browser directly because Linksys Easylink Advisor Software fails to come up.
    Error: "...Router not found..." I have seen a post that refers to this problem, but no clear info... will contact Linksys

LINKSYS Router WRT160Nv2 set for:
    Maximum number of concurrent users is set at: 2

LAPTOP (XP Home) Intel Wireless Adapter(2000-BG) to Linksys Router WRT160Nv2
    Yes, using Intel Proset utility on LAPTOP
    NOT USING WZC, windows managment is disabled when other UTILITY is installed.

Note: Wireless network connects at G level, since Intel Wireless Card Adapter on LAPTOP is BG level.

Workgroup on both computers is set to the same value.

B. CURRENT STATUS
    Network is functional, shared folders show on both machines. I am able to disable, the adapters on either machine(hardwired, or wireless) at will and reinstate them on the fly.
    Across the Network from the LAPTOP, I can only access and read files on DESKTOP.
    I get an OS error on Save a new file or Write existing file.
    On shared folders on the DESKTOP, I used 'Everyone' in the permissions and tried all the combinations of Full Control, Change, and Read permissions for 'Everyone'.

Note: NOT TESTING DESKTOP to LAPTOP at this point.

C. CONCERNS & QUESTIONS
    1. From B. above, what could cause the Write Access error?
    I am looking at the Security identifiers in Microsoft's Help, but just looking... making changes in Group Policies and Security Settings can be disastrous.

2. On the DESKTOP [System Properties] [Computer Name] TAB
    Network ID: to join a domain and create a local user account.
    Does that need to be executed? - (It starts a wizard)
    Note: Change: to rename this computer or join a domain I used that option to set the Workgroup on each the DESKTOP and the LAPTOP

3. Should I set permissions for a group other than 'Everyone'?

4. Should I set permissions for a group in addition to 'Everyone'?
    5. I have concern that using 'Everyone' I may be giving too much access.
    I am looking to limit the access to only 1 particular user on laptop, ultimately. Can that not be done?

IIS test websites:
    6. Why are all my test web sites in IIS showing in My Network Places, can they be made to not show or inaccessible to all but the pertinent users on either machine?

Security & FIREWALL:
    Microsoft's ANTI-VIRUS-SPAM-CLEANUP-BACKUP ONECARE software handles the FIREWALL
    7. Must I let ONECARE handle the firewall?
    8. Can I and should I use the firewall in the Router instead?
    9. Should I use both?

Note: I have had the FIREWALL on the Router turned on(question 9.) and have noticed the system seems to be a bit less responsive. It is now OFF! I do not even know if ONECARE can be configured with NO FIREWALL and what that would cause in terms of the immense work that ONECARE does keeping track of all the exceptions and my future ability to remove or add an exception seamlessly.

Again thank you.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm sure it can, but not having played at all with Advanced File Sharing in XP Pro I cannot advise how.

Also, for firewall I like to rely on a router's "natural" firewall (due to Network Address Translation) and the native XP and Vista firewalls. So, don't know about Onecare.

10. NicMartel

NicMartel Thread Starter

Linksys Easylink Advisor(LELA) error: ...Cannnot find the Router...
    was resolved by downloading the LELA software from Linksys site.

http://update.linksys.com/lela/install/lela.exe

This download (153Mb) is twice as large on disk than the software from the original CD.

11. NicMartel

NicMartel Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer above...

I am still not able to write across the network... (The non advanced form of it... that part I thought would be a 'given', easy, straightforward... I am scratching my head that I cannot put a quick resolve to it)

... everything else functions beautifully.

Could any one else help me?

12. NicMartel

NicMartel Thread Starter

ok... all is resolved...

the write permissions are further refined under the security tab in the share dialog window... I gave everyone, write and change permission and voila!

a bit coarse, but at least now I know where to finetune it...

Thank you so much for all the help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice