1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless laptop to wired

Discussion in 'Networking' started by twscarp, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

Hello, I have a Sony K-45 laptop, Windows XP Home SP2, DSL modem, Netgear WGT624 wireless router set to WPA2 security. Everything works very well. I want to take my laptop to a friend's home and use it. She has a new HP Vista desktop, cable internet service, no wireless. Is it just a matter of taking a ethernet cable from her modem, to my laptop? If not, can someone help me with the procedure? When I bring my laptop back home, will setting have to be reset? Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's all there is to it. One thing to consider, you need to power cycle the modem for 30 seconds or so when you change the attached computer. This applies to plain cable modems, for a router you can just plug the cable in.

3. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

Thank you JohnWill.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're welcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice