1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Modem error 678...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by davemilne, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davemilne

davemilne Thread Starter

hello all

Before making this thread i have searched around but with no luck and have visited Microsofts help pages...none of their advice worked :(

Basically I have a XP PC connected to Tiscali Broadband (Just normal boradband). This has been running for some time and involvees a filter at the wall socket with phone line coming out one way and the 'internet' wire coming out the other. the internet wire plugs into a small SAGEM modem which in turns plug into computer via USB. Easy and has been working fine.

Ah so i decide i want to connect a further two more computers up wirelessly....

Purchased a BELKIN ADSL MODEM WITH WIRELESS G ROUTWER AND WIRELESS G USB NETWORK ADAPTER. Model f5d9012UK. So followed instructions, pluggin in new modem into computer using yellow 'ethernet' cable and pluggin 'internet' wire (or ADSL) straight into modem.Plugged in and hey presto get all lights on except internet connection - which the manual says is fine. So its says to go to 192****** on internet browser which i do, follow all Belkin instructions....try and connect....and get 'WAN MINIPORT (PPPOE) connecting....couple of mins later...bam.... ERROR 678 - no connection to internet.

Now whenever i try to go back to that 192 address, says needs the internet connection which it wont let me.

I have tried everything including. resetting modem. turn off computer..creating new networks, renew IP addresses, turning off firewalls etc reinstalling modem, repairing winsock and every combination of wire i can think of.

But still to get back on the internet have needed to replug in the original Sagem box - which still works fine btw - so there is defo a broadband connection!

Also, one small thing, XP is now being a bit weird and on restart instead of bringin up a page with all the user names on, brings up a little windows box asking for username and password...doh

Sorry about the long post

Cheeers in advance

Dave:(

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Just to be clear.did reinstalling the modem also include a power on reset of the modem(powering it off).Sorry if that appears to be a dumb question,but just wanted to be clear on that.

Also,results from pinging and answers to the following questions here might be helpful

The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. davemilne

davemilne Thread Starter

hello and thankyou very much for your reply...fortunately, after 3 hours of changing every setting possible, i have an internet connection thru the router :)

I think the one that did it, was turning on the option "never connect to the internet" in the LAN network properties bit...

Thanku anyway..

Also solved the login screen bit, had to delete novell client services or something

thanks anyway

dave

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Great.Glad you got it fixed

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/743948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice