1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wireless n - can't connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Booooom, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Booooom

Booooom Thread Starter

Hi guys

i've recently built myself a new pc comprising of an ASUS P5E3 wifi-n motherboard.

I've installed the ASUS wifi-[email protected] utility that comes bundled with the board and set my main pc up as an acess point. The security level ihave used is WPA2 psk (AEP). I have a cable modem (Virgin Media Ambit 250) attached directly to one of the ethernet ports on my pc which i have set up to share the ic in the wi-fi utility.

I also have an old toshiba satellite A30 which i recently formatted and installed a TP-Link TL-WN910N CARDBUS adptor (PCMCIA card). Again i've installed the bundled utility on my laptop and set up as infrastructure with the relevant security settings.

Both systems have SP3 installed and latest windows updates.

The utility on my ;aptop picks up the access point but i can't seem to get it to connect. It is constatntly stuck on "Aquiring Network Address"

A small message appears in the latop utility which states authentication failed.

Anyideas on what the problem might be.

Many thanks for any help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One problem is that you are trying too much at once. Disable encryption until you get a successful connection. Now what happens?

3. Booooom

Booooom Thread Starter

i've tried disabling encryption already but still seem to have the same problem.

I had a good read of some of the threads on here before i posted and also tried some suggestions in other threads.

Is it possible that the Access point isn't pooling ip addresses? The reason i say this is because it briefly mentions ip pooling in the manual.

Thanks for your reply

4. Booooom

Booooom Thread Starter

anyone?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've never used that software, so I can't say what it's capabilities are. I'd try Asus, since it's their software.

Truthfully, I'd consider a wireless router and stop screwing around with this feature, but I like things simple and clean. :)

6. Booooom

Booooom Thread Starter

I was also thinking along the same lines. However. I'm not sure which router to buy. I used to own a wireless g router which served me well but i used to have to reboot it a lot (once a day at least) as it dropped the connection quite often. I don't want to be stuck with another one i have to reboot constantly.

Any suggestions for a nice wireless N router that DOESN'T drop connection? (Not really bothered if it's an expensive one as money currently isn't an object).

Thanks

7. JohnWill

I have a reasonably cheap one that I've been using here for the better part of the year, I've had no issues with it. It's the D-Link DIR-615, my only warning is to immediately upgrade the firmware to the current version from D-Link. :)

I also have a ZyXEL NBR-415N that has also worked well for about the same period. Either one should be reasonably cheap to boot.

8. Booooom

Booooom Thread Starter

BTW it also needs to have 4 x gigabit ports.

Thanks again

9. JohnWill

Not really, you can buy a 5 port gigabit switch and any of these routers far cheaper than a gigabit equipped router and have exactly the same functionality. Of course, if you want it all in one box, you'll have to pay the extra money for that privilege. ;)

10. Booooom

Booooom Thread Starter

Many thanks for your replies.

11. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

12. Booooom

Booooom Thread Starter

Just one more quickie

Is it correct if i have a router then i don' need a software firewall?

13. JohnWill

You don't "need" one, but many folks like one to monitor outgoing traffic in case something slips in. I personally don't run software firewalls, but I also am very aware of where I'm browsing.

14. Booooom

Booooom Thread Starter

ok thanks again

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice