1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Network Adapter not working.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Aspire321, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aspire321

Aspire321 Thread Starter

Hello.

I have an Acer Travelmate 5520 notebook that is running Windows Vista Business.

It was able to find and connect to a wireless network just fine. Then I put the machine into hibernation mode and now it won't connect.
    Usually I press the button on the front of the laptop to turn wireless on or off, but now the button doesn't do anything.

In device manager, `Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter' does not show up now for some reason under `network adapters'.
    This network adapter is also absent from the device manager even if "Show Hidden Devices" is active.

I didn't change anything so it's weird that this problem has now come up.

I've spent the past few hours reading threads and posts online (using a different internet connection) and have not found the solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assume that there is nothing in Device Manager with a warning or error.

Check in the BIOS (Setup) to see if the wireless somehow got disabled in there.

If you can access the wireless card by removing a small cover on the bottom of the notebook remove and carefully and firmly replace the card (to fix any potential corrosion or looseness).

3. Aspire321

Aspire321 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the BIOS but there isn't anything there regarding wireless or anything network related.
    And I don't know where the wireless card is in the notebook.

The thing is I also obviously tried rebooting several times, and nothing.
    Now for some reason when I tried to resume from a hibernation, it crashed, and upon rebooting the wireless is working again.

Very weird but glad it's working again.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe there was just some software glitch. But if it happens again check Acer's web site, as they may have a maintenance or user guide that tells you where the wireless card is. Typically it is easily accessed through one of those small covers on the bottom or is difficult to get to under the keyboard. I would not tackle the latter.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1102557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice