1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Network connected but will not connect to internet

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by OceanQueen, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OceanQueen

OceanQueen Thread Starter

Have a Acer Aspire 5735Z laptop that was connected to the internet by our wireless connection this afternoon, but my daughter turned the computer off and when my husband turned it back on an hour later it is saying that it is connected to the network but it is not connecting to the internet. Have reinserted the WEP key, sorry but do not know the make/model of the broadband modem, only that it is an older Wanadoo one. Haven't had any problems connecting to the internet prior to this and have had quite a few different laptops connected up (we have holiday flats and do connect other laptops). The wired connection from the modem to the PC in the office is working OK. Our Norton 360 has expired today (17th), but was going to renew this evening until this problem appeared, don't know whether this would cause any problems?

2. OceanQueen

Wireless modem is an inventel live box

3. Michael York

Michael York

Hi OceanQueen,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Since your license for Norton 360 expired, your computer is no longer protected against threats, so there is the possibility that an infection has caused the connectivity problems you are experiencing. I would strongly suggest that you visit our renewal page and renew your license for Norton 360 and get the latest version (version 4) installed and functioning properly.

Renew your subscription for Norton 360

Once you have renewed your subscription you will then receive a new Activation Key by email, along with instructions on how to download and install Norton 360 version 4. You should connect your computer using a cable since your wireless connection is not working. If you still cannot connect to the internet, then right-click on the Norton icon in the System Tray and choose "Disable Smart Firewall." When the dialog appears, choose "Until System Restarts" and then attempt to connect to the internet again. Next, please follow the steps below to properly remove the older version and then install version 4. Since you are currently experiencing problems with your wireless connection, I am going to recommend that you first properly remove the version you have installed and then install the latest version.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Follow the instructions in the confirmation email you received when you renewed Norton 360 to download and install version 4.

4. When the installation is complete, launch Norton 360 and manually run LiveUpdate. After the updates have been installed, complete a "Comprehensive Scan" to check for infections.

Please let me know if you need additional assistance with Norton 360.

Thank you,
    Mike

4. OceanQueen

Hi Michael
    Thanks for your assistance with this - had already renewed my Norton 360 (I don't think it gave me the option of Version 4 though) on my main computer in my office but have been unable to get onto the internet with the laptop to update it on that one (we have our 3 computers all covered on the same Norton). Have tried to connect up on my sons wifi but once again it connects up to the network but doesn't go on line, have also tried with the wired version, but once again connects to network but no internet! Have tried to disable or turn off the firewall but it doesn't seem to be letting me in. Will have a go again in the morning following your instructions to see if we can get it sorted and let you know the result. If I am unable to connect the laptop, is there anyway that I can download and save my Norton 360 via my office computer and transfer this to the laptop? Once again, thanks for your help.

5. AshleeD

AshleeD

It sounds pretty unlikely you coincidently downloaded an infection the day your norton expired which caused you to be unable to connect to the net. You could download a free virus scanner like AVG and transfer it to the laptop, install it and run a scan. May not help but it wouldn't hurt anyway.

Incase Norton is causing an issue, maybe you could uninstall Norton for the moment and try again.

6. Michael York

Michael York

Hi OceanQueen,

I would recommend that you create a bootable Norton 360 Recover Disk which you can create on another computer. After the disk is burned you will then boot from the CD and scan your computer. Please carefully follow the instructions in the link below.

Downloading the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool for Norton 360

Thank you,
    Mike

7. OceanQueen

Hi Ashlee

It worked - uninstalled Norton and gave me access to the internet straight away, so was able to download the updated subscription! Didn't think it could be this as the issue had been complicated by the updates also happening at the same time, but is all sorted now. We're off on holiday next week and will now be able to take laptop with us.

Thanks very much for your help with this, it is much appreciated.

8. OceanQueen

Hi Michael
    Thanks for that, in the end we uninstalled the Norton and this worked the trick, so I was then able to go straight back in and download our new subsciption. Can now take laptop on holiday and know we can connect up to the internet!

9. Michael York

Michael York

Hi OceanQueen,

Thanks for the update and I'm happy to hear that you were able to renew your subscription and get Norton 360 installed and protecting your computer.

Happy holiday,

Mike

10. chippynut

chippynut

It is time some one did some thing about Norton and their way of drumming up trade, Saturday we purchased a new laptop it had a so called free trial of their anti virus which i refuse to use after past problems so i tried to uninstall Norton and got locked out of the web and the new PC froze, if you look into windows7 threads for Sunday i had to ask for help to remove Norton, after i did this the laptop ran like a dream and we were back on the net, exactly the same as the person above, This sort of thing is no better than blackmail.(n)

11. OceanQueen

Funnily enough my daughter had had the same problem a few months ago with Norton (which I knew nothing about) and was advised by a friend to uninstall Norton and download AVG instead. She has had no problems since so will possibly reconsider whether to change if we have any further problems.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice