1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless Network disappeared after 2 years of usage

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mymnymny, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mymnymny

mymnymny Thread Starter

We have an HP dv6000SE with Vista and after the 2 year warranty expired, so did our network connection. Message shows that the network can not be found. Unable to start or install HP Wireless assistant. The wireless adaptor does not show in Device Manager. I downloaded (from another laptop that does connect to the wireless network in same home) the new bios and driver from HP site and it still would not work. I tried a system restore and this did not work. I then did a complete system recovery to put everything back to factory settings and still nothing. I also opened up the system to make sure that the network adaptor was not loose (system off and battery was taken out). I read on the internet that it seems to be a common problem for dv6000 and dv 9000 series but was unable to find any answer as to the cause or what needs to be done to fix it. Others tried to replace the network adaptor and it didn't help either and so I would like to know what we are dealing with to see if the issue is fixable or do we have to purchase a new laptop. People have mentioned that HP needs to do a recall on these systems as it is a universal system malfunction but these laptops are not on their recall list. Thank you for any help or information as to the cause.:confused: Very frustrating and confusing.

2. chronk

chronk

Hi mymnymny,

If the wireless card does not show in Device Manager under networks - and you have no unknown devices showing - I would think that the issue would be with the wireless card or the motherboard. If you installe another wireless adapter in the notebook - and Found New hardware Wizard does not run - then you can purchase a USB wireless adapter - so you have two chances as I see it to get wireless access on that computer.

I would borrow a friend's internal wireless card if possible - and be careful how you handle the wireless card if you can gain access to one. That way you could rule out your motherboard as the problem if the Add hardware wizard ran - you would likely suspect the motherboard if the wizard does not run - computer does not detect a new card.

Of course - be sure and ground yourself so as not to discharge any static electricity to the component. I'm sure you can Google that to find more info if you are not familiar with working on computers.

Best of Luck.

Chronk
    :)

3. mymnymny

mymnymny Thread Starter

Thanks Chronk,

I will take the next step and hope for more success then the other users with an install of a new wireless network adaptor...or the usb network adaptor as I have never installed an internal wireless card in a laptop before...but HP should still recognize this as a common system issue and do a recall.

Again, thanks for your help and I will post if successful.

M

4. mymnymny

mymnymny Thread Starter

Just an update. Installed a wireless usb adaptor and was able to connect to the internet. Hope this lasts and that the issue does not return as it did for other users.
    Thanks for your advice Chronk.

M

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi,

I've also seen this disappearing Wi-Fi adapter.... in a dv9417cl

The specs at the HP support for that model show it as including a Wi-Fi built in....the case has "Wi-Fi" on it on the bottom edge....but, no wireless shows up nor can be enabled anywhere! It's definitely in the machine since you can open a bottom compartment- must be they just burn out. Warranty was expired or I would have contacted HP about it.

So, the owner bought a Verizon USB broadband adapter and is quite happy with it.

The wired Ethernet hardware works very well. I didn't try any others, like a PCMCIA network card adapter-- which is also a good way to go wireless.

6. chronk

chronk

Congrats for getting your laptop back on the Internet mymnymny.

Chronk

:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/861186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice