1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless network drops signal and network is slow

Discussion in 'Networking' started by supergroomer, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. supergroomer

supergroomer Thread Starter

I am having a frustrating time with my network. I work for an animall hospital and we have a wired/wireless network with 9 computers (mixed vista ultimate and xp pro with server 2003 sp2 on the server). I am using a Linksys WRT320n router.

My main problem is with my 2 wireless computers, a desktop with a US Robotics 802.11g turbo and one of my laptops, a Dell Inspiron 6400. They are no more then 30 feet from the router and always have a strong signal but will drop their connection and have to be logged of and logged back on. It is very frustrating because there is no rhyme or reason for it. Sometimes it will stay connected all day without dropping and other days it will drop 6-8 times.

I am not sure if this is related or not, but there are several wireless networks that can be seen by these computers including a Comcast WIFI and an Optonline WIFI.

Also, the network will slow down every so often (wired as well as wireless) and I am no sure what the is about. Our applications that we run are not very intence (no graphics or large packets being sent.) Some one said they thought there might be a some sort of a Windows Sharing App. running on the server that was bogging it down but I am not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Supergroomer

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

My first suggestion would be to change the wireless channel being used.1/6/11 in US.
    This is done through the router's wireless section.

3. supergroomer

Ok. I have changed the channel from 11 to 6. We will see what happens.

Thanks

Supergroomer

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Great.If no joy,try 1.
    You might want to use a channel that is not used or not used a lot by your surrounding networks.

5. supergroomer

How do I find what channels are being used?

Thanks

Supergroomer

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

Sorry.I have a third party utility(netstumbler)that tells me that.

7. supergroomer

Ok. I d/l network stumbler and it shows all the networks in my area on 6 so I changed it to 1. It is still dropping the network connection. It will work fine and then I get a "No available wireless network". Then it reconnects almost imediatley. But that brief discconect causes it to disconect from our server and the Veterinary program we are running.

What do you suggest next?

Thanks

Supergroomer

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

The only other things I can suggest are:
    Download any more current firmware for your router.
    Download from the pc makers web site any more current network adapter driver that may be available

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about a wire to those problem computers? :)

10. pedroguy

pedroguy

Yep:That too :D

11. supergroomer

Ok. Thanks. I d/l a new driver for the US Robitics card. It accually said "Fixes the dropping of network" issue. So let's see if this fixes the problem. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all you help.

Supergroomer

12. supergroomer

I looks like the new driver did the trick!!! Thanks for all your help!! I will mark this as solved.

Supergroomer

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Glad you worked it out. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/855656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice