1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wireless network: list of devices and NAT settings

Discussion in 'Networking' started by syc0path, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

I recently added several devices to my wireless-g network: Xbox 360, an HTC Smart phone, and an old laptop my buddy gave me (in addition to the 2 desktops that were already on the network). Since doing this, I've had occasional buffering problems when streaming music or video, even when I'm only using 1 of the devices. I suspect that the Xbox (or maybe phone) is downloading updates in the background, even when it's turned off, and that is consuming bandwidth. Is there any way I can see a list of devices that are connected to the network and maybe even the amount of data being transmitted to/from each so I can find the culprit?

The other question I have also relates to the Xbox... when I play online, it says that my NAT settings are not open and that this makes it take longer to connect to other players. What are the risks involved in loosening the NAT restrictions?

2. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

I changed the port settings as described in this post: http://forums.techguy.org/networking/695571-router-nat-settings.html

And while I was fixing that, I found a list of active IP addresses on the network in the router configuration pages. Turns out the Xbox remains connected even while "off", so it was probably downloading updates. I haven't had any buffering issues in a while, so it's probably done updating.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice