1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wireless network not connecting....HP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hpmess, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hpmess

hpmess Thread Starter

I know this question has been asked before. specifically for me, i just changed the hard drive on my hp compaq nc6220, windows xp. i went to hp.com and installed 3 drivers: broadcast wireless LAN driver, broadcast wireless LAN network adaptors user interface, broadcast wireless LAN network adaptors drivers for window xp. rebooted, still can't connect to wireless connection; click on icon - no wireless networks in range. before i changed hard drive, i was only using library and barnes/nobles for connecting to internet/ wireless; i do not have a modem, router, isp - just use store/library. I am able to connect using an ethernet cable and connecting to library wall/ connection. wasn't at first but then ran a winstock code or something and it worked for ethernet connxn. appreciate the help!

cmd prompt:
    - node type: unknown
    - ip routing enabled: no
    - WINS proxy enable: no
    - broadcom netxtreme gigabit ethernet
    - dhcp and autoconfig enabled: yes
    - media state: media disconnected
    - numbers/ address present for all of: ip address, subnet mask, default gateway,dhcp server, dns servers,
    - description: broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

Attached Files:

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What wireless utility (XP's WZC, HP's, Broadcom's) are you using? Are you sure that no other one is running?

4. hpmess

hpmess Thread Starter

hi Terry. not sure what you mean by wireless utility. i put up a thumbnail with info in original posting. maybe it says it there. how would i determine that? thanks for your input.

5. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

He wanted to know the name of the wireless driver installed. which is Broadcam. Basically he wanted to see if you're running wireless and broadband which can cause a conflict.

6. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Please download this program> http://www.safe-install.com/programs/unknown-device-identifier.html save the report and attach it here.

7. hpmess

hpmess Thread Starter

thanks victoria for all 3 messages! :)

8. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Ha "2" you mean I meant to give you the link in my first response but i hit backspace and had to do it all over again! :p

9. hpmess

hpmess Thread Starter

will do tomorrow. tried the steps in the first message but the terminology threw me. will follow up tomorrow. this is a real pain!!! thanks again for your input, fellow ny'r.

10. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Yes it can be! lol it might just be a missing driver. After you show us what drivers you have with that program I gave you and you show us all running networks it can help us find out the problem.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My first question should have been: is the wireless switched on? Is it?

I say 'wireless utility,' some people say 'wireless client'; it's a program for managing wireless connections. Looking at that link VictoriaiiCe gave it appears that HP has one (don't know if it really controls connections or just controls off/on) and Broadcom has one. And, of course, XP has its Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC). WZC runs as a service (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services). If you have more than one running they will conflict and drive you crazy.

12. hpmess

hpmess Thread Starter

Victoria - when i put in the url, it forwards to safe-install.com. Is that the right page i should be on? There are multiple downloads available. Thanks.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since she later mentioned possible "missing driver" surely she meant the 'Unknown Device Identifier 6.01' program. :)

14. hpmess

hpmess Thread Starter

data from unknown device identifier. thanks.

Attached Files:

15. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Ok I just wanted to double check you're Print Screen was cut off and I wanted to see if you had any drivers conflicting eachother but that's not the case. It's not a driver issue..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice