Solved: wireless network problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

V-man

my computer works of wireless connection the main computer with the router is in another room and i recive the connection through a belkin reciver thats plugged into my usb port my problem is every so often during the day i lose the connection for minutes at a time then will only reconnect after i restart the computer any ideas whats wrong?

V,

I experience the very same problem on my Toshiba laptop with an integrated WLAN interface. One thing I am noticing on posts here when talk of interference is concerned is that no one seems to mention microwave oven interference. Microwave ovens put of a significant amount of interference and they seem to interfere with 2.4GHz equipment. Try to use your microwave and see if it impacts your connection, next, if you have a 2.4GHz cordless phone, use it and see if it impacts the connection.

Oh, yeah, and see if there is a firmware upgrade for you WLAN adapter as a new firmware version could resolve this very issue.

Good luck!

V-man

mircrowave oven is not a factor because we do not have one how do i find out if its a 2.6 mhz phone?

Here is a link with some more info about wireless interferrence: http://www.wirelessnetdesignline.com/howto/60401206
Also there was a discussion yesterday about this kind of stuff in this post: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/486287-logitech-v400-laser-cordless-mouse.html

To help you with your question though! :) What is the Brand/Model of your home phone(s)? We could check the web for specs, or it might say "2.4 GHz" on the phone receiver or phone itself.. From personal experience, a cordless phone with the right frequency can kill your connection and force you to re-connect/reboot. I used a linksys usb wireless adapter and had a bunch of problems with it dropping signal, forcing reboot at times. What type of usb adapter are you using?

V-man

the brand of fone is a NTL D505 and I have no idea what type of USB adapter i am using any ideas how to find out?

It should have something written on it somewhere, check the bottom for a model number or something. What brand is it?

Unplugging and plugging back in the USB adapter has worked for me in the past at times. It was never very consistent, but would work after our 2.4Ghz phone would knock out my signal..

People seem to have the most trouble with USB wireless adapters. Trying a PCI wireless adapter may be your best resolution to the problem if its worth it to you if the above tip doesn't help.

V-man

plugging it in and out never works for me tried it lots
Wireless PCI adpater could you give me an example

V-man

lol would like to look at that but my other problem is that my web browser firefox is not displaying anything except this website and google

:rolls eyes: Sounds like you may need a new thread in the security forum with a hijackthis log file attached to get that handled :) I'm battling a somewhat similar problem myself right now on another PC.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online